• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to sharpen Auger Blades???

bigminnow

I was out punching holes the other day and my auger which is 4 years old is just shaving ice. I looked to see what new Jiffy d"Icer 10" blades cost $50, and decided I might try to sharpen them. My question is, is it similar to hand augers where all you do is just take a flat file to the BOTTOM of the blade? I have done that with my old Mora and it works great.
Any help would be appreciated?

if you have a area machinist just take it to them and the can grind it. as long as they have a surface grinder a file really wont do it Ive been sharpening a few of my buddys this year and you really dont have to take much at all. It takes about 10 mins. to do and its a heck of alot cheaper then buying new ones.

De Icer blade are only $25 bucks. Don't touch it with a file you will just make it worst. Unless you are a you know what you are doing you will only make it worst. I always take mine in to a place that does shaperning. In Fargo area the best place to go is twin cities sharpening. Blades are designed to have an exact pitch on them and if you screw it up your are just that screwed.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I have taken mine off and used a belt sander on them, just enough to put the edge back on and then use a file “lightly” on the bottom to knock the burr off, works fine for me. That is the main reason I still use the chipper style auger.
wink.gif

bigminnow;

If you are able to tru up the mora style blade, you should have no problem with the jiffy.

Remove and clamp the blade securely, with the macined surface up. Using a new flat file, clean up that surface only, maintaining the original angle and your there!

Good Luck and smooth augering

JIGLFIN;