• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
swampman

JIGGLESTICKS

How many of you guys still use these? I may be stubborn or have yet to find the right rod and reel combo but when i am tightlineing panfish i still find myself digging out some of my old jigglesticks anybody else do this?

I took out the old jig sticks last Friday for the first time in a while. It was like old times again! That little rod and reel setup gets to big and bulky sometimes, its nice for a quick depth finder though! Good luck out there!

I still use only a jigstick for sunnies. Love to get the bait down fast and not get tangled up with the rod and reel when only fishing shallow depths.

Yep me to like rod and reel in the portable for fishing over 15 to 20 feet or more, but will fish almost all the time in under 15 feet or less with my hand over hand poles.

All are wasting time doing the hand over fist method to catch small sunfish...have fun. I've done both, JIGGLESTICKS and then the rod/reel method.
A lot of valuable time is lost trying to play with that ball of line you have all over the floor of your house or stuck on the ridges of ice if you are outside.

BUT I guess it's back to the basics with those JIGGLESTICKs and could be fun??
I'll stick with my rod/reel combos.

ENJOY!

Hardly doubt that thought Buzzer. I use light rods that give great action when panfish and perch fishin'. Never do I use a heavy rod/reel combo to just REEL in the fish. I to like to have fun and having superior gear makes it all the better.

A jigglestick would be fun and was for years when I first started ice-fishing. But have found that there is far advance gear to use.

Though a jigglestick would be just the ticket to have a good time in shallow water.

Either way works and will forever on out.

Idon't know how many times I've had my line burnt in half from the lantern, the old hand over hand.We catch alot of our big gills in 20' and deeper. I'm talking 3/4 to 1 1/4 pndrs. Iwent to a noodle rod with a mitchel Triad T-05 spin reel and 2 pnd test. Have even got some nice waldos.Use the smallest thill slip bob they have and you can go from 5 to 50 if you want. Just bait the jig and fish!!!

I have an old noodle rod made by "Currents"
and love to use it for shallow water sunfish. I still enjoy the fight better than on a rod and reel. Deep water it gets to be a pain to untangle the line from the ice so then I use my other rigs.

When fishing 1 or 2 pound line sometimes is nice to have some drag for those bulls.
Rattle wheels are just like jiggle sticks good old fashion hand over fist fishin.

icebum1
I never said that big bluegills can not be caught deeper than 10 feet I said that most are caught in 10 feet and less. I would sure like to see some pics of those 1 1/4 lb bluegills. I'm sure you took some since those size of fish are rare.

------------------
Fishin's the fun part catchin them is a bonus!
((TIP) "Turn In Poachers"
1-800-652-9093
24 Hours a Day_365 Days a Year

Buzzer;I realize you didn't say they could'nt be caught that deep.I'm fishing a private farm pond. a little over 4 acres it's just loaded with those big bulls real nice crappie to biggest one this year was a 17" I didn't catch it but was lucky enough to be there and see it.Early ice we fish shallow where the vegitation is still green and go deeper as the season progresses. Ihave some nice pics I'll try to post em. computer is all new to me.

I never use a reel on my panfish sticks under 20 feet of water. Most fishing for Big bluegills is done in less than 10 feet of water. I build my own graphite jig sticks with cork handles and wood pegs to hold the line. They are VERY sensitive with 2 lb test line. I can not understand why anyone would want a bulky reel to make fishing faster? I think it's a lot more fun to pull them up by hand. I see the trend is using heavy rods and reels to crank them in FAST and a Camera so you can see them bite. I wonder where the term Fishing ever went.

------------------
Fishin's the fun part catchin them is a bonus!
((TIP) "Turn In Poachers"
1-800-652-9093
24 Hours a Day_365 Days a Year