• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE Series on Winni-Did you have fun?

A lady won it with a combined fish total of 12.5 lbs of fish.
The bite didnt seem to be as heavy as mormally thought, after the contest I talked with a couple people who said they did ok at the best I heard was up to 25 between 3 but most said a few to none That was the story here zip for us, confused.gif we tried everything and nohting seemed to work. The wind was nasty to say the least and moving was hard, I cant imagine any huge amounts taken. But all in all it was a blast just getting out, meeting Rick and most of the staff and put faces to names was good also.
I would like to say thanks to Pat and Rhonda at Denny's Resort for the excellent and friendly service and for Rhonda's "special drinks". shocked.gif
Also Thanks Rick for putting on a good time, I hope Milleacs will be better for weather.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 01-11-2004).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

It was a very nice crowd that went above expectations for the Winnie ICE Series Event. The registration line was so long at 7:45 am that we had to add more folks totaking registrations so we could get the event going on time.

The Winnie Worlds Greatest Ice Angler Trophy went to Kandy Nyberg.

You could not have asked for a better scenario. Our first IceLeader's woman angler who wins the World's Greatest Ice Angler Award!! I'll let the others give the details on the winners.

This tourney was loaded with women and kids. A young man under thr age of 16 won the MarCum LX3.

You should have seen the smile on his face and his family was overjoyed. They had borrowed a couple depth finders for this tourney. Now they have one of their own.

You could not have asked for a better bunch of people to attend an ICE Series Event. A bunsh of great folks. A lot of smiles from them as a walked into the crowd asking them to please draw the winners.

My bet is that over 70% of the people ther ended up heading home with something. ALL of the kids who got in FREE received some fishing tackle.

A big Thanks to Rhonda and Pat of Denny's Resort. They put on a very nice fish fry at the end, besides hosting the event. Great people and operation.

I have to also thank the Pro Staff who were there helping out. Dennis Steele made and or purchased the entire staging area and he did a fine job. Tom Herman was instrumental, as always, in pulling off pro staff coordination. Paiul Waldowski and Jim W were there helping and keeping things light hearted as well as fun.

Jason Boser, a long time Winnie guide, took a huge group of IceLeader's anglers out to help them find spots for the tourney.

Jeff Beckwith gave a pre-contest seminar basically telling everyone where the hot-spots were. Brian Jones, Matt Johnson, and Matt Breuer are the future of this sport and IceLeader's. Their presence and help was indeed appreciated.

Richard Smith was our cook extraordinaire. He served up Schweigert Brats and Chili to a hungry post tourney crowd. He did this on little sleep as they drove in with no sleep and arrived in time to start setting up. Jon Eggers was the jack of all trades helping out where neded.

I won't say much about Pete Riola and Dave Hoggard. They know they were appreciated for their efforts.

There are many more who contributed behind the scenes who could not attend. Rest assured we appreciate your efforts.

Thanks Pro Staff and ICE Series Participants. It is all of you who made this and outstanding ICE Series event.

You have ALL earned the titles of ICE LEADER!!!

Looking forward to seeing you at the Mille Lacs Event on Saturday, January 24th.

Let's make it another huge crowd and event.

My nephew got 2nd place with 11.1 lbs. He had a 5.5 lbs pout,7 nice perch, and a 15" walleye.Him and his dad did catch a bunch of perch.My son and I just couldn't find what they wanted. Thanks Jason for putting us on a little honey hole. The lady that won it, set up next to my nephew later that morning. Rick it was nice to finally meet you and shake your hand. You and the rest of the Pro staff and Denny's resort need to give yourselves a pat on the back, for putting on such a great contest.My hats off to you all. I can't make it to the Mille Lacs ICE Series, but hoping to make it to the URL and LOW contests. Thanks Guys for all your hard work. Jeff

I also have to thank Mike and Diane of the Drake Motel out of Blackduck. They assisted Richard and Dave at the cook-out. Fine job there!!!

The cook-out was pretty good. We now intend to find a way to make this more tail-gate style. I think a little music (that Dave has been working on)will be piped in. I'm sure Dave and Richard are already hard at it thinking of a way to spice up the post tourney feed already.

We'll see what Richard and Dave can cook-up for the next event smile.gif

Way to go guys and LG

I thought the Winnie Event was great~got to meet a lot of nice folks while handin out the chili, now I can't wait for the one on Upper Red!

Rick (LB) didn't think I'd notice that LG did you smile.gif I heard you even mentioned that at the set up meeting!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

For me it was a day of highs and lows. I set up on a break rangeing from 14 -36 fow. My girlfriend Julie and I set out 2 tip-ups baited with 5" sucker minnows, one at 14' and one at 16'. I drilled around 15 holes in various depths for jigging sweedish pimples and minnow heads. The jigging holes were in 28-36 fow. The tip-ups produced 1 northern and 3 walleye. 2 of the walleye were around 16"s makeing the cut, and one was a 21" slot fish which got released. Julie bagged 2 more northerns jigging a sweedish pimple as well as her 10 perch. Between Julie and I, we were able to ice about 30 keeper perch to include several "jumbos". We were feeling pretty confident with our catch, Julie with a limit of perch and 1 27" northern, me with 2 16" walleye, 1 30" northern, and a limit of nice perch. My hopes were that, unless someone bags a big pike, walleye, or pout, our catches should be in the running. smile.gif At 1;35pm we were in the van and ready to make the long 4 minute ride back to the weigh in. With my eye glasses "steamy" from the warm van, I drove in to a small snow drift.....STUCK!!! mad.gif Fortunately a fellow pulled me out, but the 20 minutes of horseing around caused me to arrive at weigh in at 2:04pm....4 minutes too late!! Weigh in was over. Dennis Steele was kind enough to weigh my fish just for s*#ts and giggles, 9lb 8ozs, good enough for third place. I did not see who and what types of fish were registered. I think a few large pout took the top 3 places, but I'm not sure. To sum it up, my planning payed off. Braveing the elements and "hole hopping" was rewarded with fish. I didn't plan on getting stuck in the snow drift however. I wasn't able to take home a trophy, but we won some nice prizes, ate some good food, met some wonderful people, and HAD FUN!!! grin.gif Thanks to Rick and everyone involved! Matt and Matt, I enjoyed talking with you guys very much, you made me feel right at home. I'll make sure I'm driveing a 4wd at the next event!...PS: Red produced some hawg northerns Saturday night and Sunday morning, I just got home a little while ago.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 01-12-2004).]

It was a good time, thanks for all that made it happen. I know some of you put in a lot of time and effort to make things run as smoothly as they did. Everything ran very good. It was nice to see everyone that could attend, look forward to even more at the next event on Mille Lacs.

Fishing was good as well. We caught a ton of nice perch and some nice eyes (missed some real good ones as well frown.gif). Most of the jumbos were from 9-12", with a lot of smaller fish mixed in throughout the day.

Here are a few perch from Saturday...
f9f8b9e2.jpg

Here is Mr.Clean getting his fish ready for weigh-in...
f9f8b9e8.jpg

22' of water - angle eyes and Northland buckshot 1/16 oz with a fathead (head). Orange hook with plain large fatheads picked up a lot of nice fish as well. Caught some decent fish on tear drops and waxies as well, but couldn't keep the little guys off with that bait, so we used the larger baits more. The angel eye produced the biggest perch and some nice eyes. We kept switching up throughout the day to keep the bite going - when they cooled off, we would swtich colors and or baits and pick up a few more...

Too bad the wind was so strong on Saturday, otherwise it would have been a pretty nice day.. Still a great time! Now, who is all in for Mille Lacs in two weeks?

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 01-12-2004).]

Highs and lows here too. Caught a nice batch of perch (took 'em home and they fried up very well for supper with the wife), and a nice slot-protected walleye (23") that had to go back. Any day of fishing is a good time.

Matt B, to be able to beat out any of you local guys would be quite an accomplishment in my eyes. I can tell you boys know your stuff and have put in the time and effort to get to where you are today. Quite honestly, I felt good with my catch considering the talent that was out there. I applaud, respect, and envy, all you guys!! smile.gif .....By the way, is there any work up there? My dream is to live in northrn Mn. at some time in my life, realisticly it'll probably be after retirement though......Unless you guys are looking for some guides! With a little time and effort I can get the job done rest assured. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Yep, Winnie sure was fun. It was great putting faces to some of the names and talking with faces that I already knew. I would like to thank everyone who attended, you all made this event a blast! I got to talk with a lot of you and I couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people. Looks like we all run with a nice crowd smile.gif I'm already counting the days until the Mille Lacs event where I plan on meeting a lot more of you!

Congrats to Kandy, big fish and 1st place!

Can it be luck?,
I've seen the walleyes you've caught in the past and the ones you always catch when you go out, you are holding a big trophy in my mind smile.gif Sorry about the snow drift. Congrats on the finding a hot bite out there!

Here are a few pictures from the ICE Series out on Winnie...

Here's Matt Breuer with a 5.5 pound eelpout:
f9fa4268.jpg

Here's a picture of Mr. Soderbloom with a 4.5 pound pike:
f9fa463b.jpg

Thanks to all of the Pro Staff for the awesome early morning set-up. We had the music going and we had a chance to witness Dennis construct his masterpiece (oh yeah, we helped a little too wink.gif) I'm looking forward to the future!

Not too long and we will all be back on the ice out on Mille Lacs! See all of you again soon!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 01-12-2004).]

Here is a picture of The
Winnie World's Greatest Ice Angler
ICEserieswinni2004champ150.jpg
Kandy Nyberg - 2004 - Winnie Champ!

It was nice talking with you as well! Sorry about the snowdrift! You would have taken my place, and you deserve it, I just want you to know that! Nest event you'll have to smoke me! We didin't get to fish too incredibly much, but when we did I landed a nice pout and some keeper walleyes!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]

thanks to all. the inlaw and i did so so moving three times and various depths. fellow and his two sons did real well(bucket of perch, 2eyes and a jack) and where only about 20yds away in 23' with plain hook and crappie minnow.

It was an amazing tourney and Thanks again to all of helped create such a fun atmosphere and

I really appreciate all of you who attended the event. Our Pro Staff have been commenting on how rewarding it was to talk with you and see all of you there. You were all a Class act and the icing on the cake!

Again, this ICE Series event would not have been possible without all of the Pro Staff whom you saw out there with their Green IceLeaders hats on. They started set-up at 5:00 am. They were also the ones who tore down and were the last to leave.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone!!!

Mille Lacs - URL IceLeaders & IBOTS
CLICK HERE
for all the Mille Lacs-1/24/04 & URL -2/21/04 ICE Series details.

Please join in today deadline for mail-in Mille Lacs ICE Series Entry is Monday.

Only $10 in advance - $15 at the door
Kids under 16 are FREE.

CLICK HERE and enter To Have More Fun this Ice Fishing Season. smile.gif