• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flash Glow

Ice9

I have a couple of those little LED glow-lites, which work fine. Last year I saw a guy on the ice with some kind of flash-zapper that worked like a camera flashbulb. I've looked around with no success. Can someone tell me what that was and if I can find one to order without leaving the comfort of my computer chair?

Ice9

Ice

I've got a 35mm camera flash unit (fastens to the "shoe" on them) that I use. Very intense light. Uses AAA batteries if I'm not mistaken. Picked it up at a camera shop for $15-20. Haven't been bothered by batteries going dead, but I carry extras along for it and my mag-lites.

UG

I picked up my flash unit at Wal-Marts camera department for $15.96. I used it for 2 nights worth of fishing before swapping out the Alkaline batteries. I have rechargable NiMH that Iam going to use next. I also have the LED taser and I use the flash most of the time. I must admit I feel like I am one of the Men in Black characters (close your eyes when flashing).

I bought a Surefire G2 flashlight for $35 at Gander Mountain. This is the brightest flashlight I've ever owned. I use it on my glow jigs. The jigs look like they're on fire. I've tried the flash, this gets them much brighter.

Good Luck, Scotty

the 35mm flash units can be found at thrift stores like goodwill or salvation army in the so-called electronic area. they go for 1.00 and will outperform any taser or lazer or led or flashlight on your glow jigs..

Just wondering how the bright flash in the dark shelter looks to the fish and if there any negative effects?

I use the bright blue hand held and cup the jig in my hand and get a great glow with out all the light hitting the ice.

I just heard of people saying the lanterns and light affect the fish and try to minimize it.

Any feedback? -RR4

Scotty 18,

Excellent idea...I have two of the surefire flashlights and didn't even think about using them. They are the brightest flashlight I've ever seen. I'll check the differenc between the surfire's and the $1.99 light I bought at K-mart. It really gets the glow going but I'm going to have to get into my gear tonight and check the difference!! Thanks for the idea.

I have to agree with rr4. 2 years ago just after sunset the vex was lit up, a crappie iced about every 2-2 1/2 minutes for 2 guys. Tried to spice things up, hit the glo-jig with the camera flash, well it was lightening struck! The vex was empty, we didn't see another fish that evening. now we use squeeze lites and just recharge more often. Sometimes the house lite is even too much and we'll use an 8" flourescent black lite. The bobbers glow until they're below the surface and the flourescent line looks like rope on the ice, way cool! We've left the lake with our 2 limits and the houses around us haven't had a bite. Yea, I do believe there is something to "TOO MUCH lite on the ice.

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!