• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thin Ice

FI Guide

Was out in my normal walleye area drilling holes to see if there was any eyes down there. Walked over to a spot and drilled and water flew up right away. I thought that was weird so i bent down to check the ice and when i did that the ice started to break i jumped off to the side in time. So i drilled all around the thin spot everywhere i drilled 12 inches of ice so im wondering if this was a spear hole. Isnt the spear house supposed to mark their hole with a block of a stick. This spot had nothing. Get back to me if you know anything on this

A few questions for you:
How deep of water were you in?
How big of an area was the thin spot?
Was there any signs of a house there?(when I spear, I just throw the fish out the door so was there blood?)
You also have to remember that ice doesn't form uniformly either.
Wasn't it long lake or some lake by Brainerd that had that big wide open unexplained hole last winter?

Those unmarked spear holes pose a huge safety concern. As what may have nearly happened to you, some unsuspecting angler may fall right through the hole.

Marking the discarded block of ice, and/or chopping it into many pieces should also be praticed. I've seen snowmobiles/ ATV's hitting unmarked blocks. A guy down the road broke part of his back after hiting an unmarked block with his Polaris.

Just commen sense stuff, I guess!

[This message has been edited by smartguy (edited 01-04-2004).]

If the spot was rec. or square it was likely a spear hole. I like it when they mark the old spots with pine boughs or something substatial yet not hazardous. I'm glad you didn't go through, its pretty creepy when you have 12" of ice and aren't expecting it huh?

Yeah it was very scary there wasnt any houses on this spot and when i shovled around the area the ice was smooth. This same lake killed two people last year so im guessing that there might be a bunch of underwater springs. After my experience i went and got a big pine branch and put it on the spot hopfully nobody went through

We had an incident in St cloud this past week. One of my insureds (I own an insurance agency) called to tell me that his son had dropped his P/U truck into 15' of water. ONly took about three minutes for the truck to totally disappear. Both occupants got out safely.

Someone had apparently had a problem with their house settling and cut the ice all the way around in order to get it out after the warm spell. No markings for the spot, night time, vehicle hit it straight on and down she went. Only liability so cost of removal is that of the owner. Personally I'd have a very difficult time living with this had anyone been injured or drowned. Bill

We have 2 little kids who fish with us and everytime I see a 10 inch hole it makes me scared because my 2 year old could go down the hole. I agree about marking big holes you make by spearing or other stuff like that. If only people thought of others.

Be safe and see you on the ice.

FI Guide -
Is it your best guess that a spring caused the thin ice? Makes me wonder how safe some of the lakes really are. Unless you know where the springs are, there is no way of knowing where you might fall through. Makes me think twice about having a set of those ice pick things to help you get a hold to crawl back out if you fall in.