• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two Bluebirds and a Great-crested Flycatcher, I believe.

I realize these are not high quality shots, but they are both firsts for me. I sat in camouflage, not too far from a bluebird house and watched and waited. They sure kept their distance. These shots are all heavily cropped. This is so much more challenging than shooting from a blind. Also, much more frustrating because you don't have much control over the environment. frown However, driving out of the park this morning, I spotted my first indigo bunting. As soon as I stopped, he flew. But, I did secure some private property right next to the state park. There is an herb farm that sits on 6 acres alongside the river. They had a flock of Cedar Waxwings stop by a week ago and they see Kingfishers just about every day. It's an awesome wildlife setting. This should be a perfect spot for some more "firsts".

2539186112_ec7ee34d3c_o.jpg

2538358657_c56ff02458_o.jpg

2538368527_fd806d57cd_o.jpg

2538364249_403e47d6fb_o.jpg

Good work Mike! The second bird is a Western King Bird. A fly catcher all the way, are evry common up in my region although their immediate cousin the Eastern King Bird are much more common. The King bird is extremely territorial and will defend it against all comers.

Can anyone else offer their bird expertise on the last one? In my books, the Kingbirds have smooth heads. The feathers on the head were the most distinguishing part of this bird, which is what made me think Great-crested Flycatcher. Also, Western Kingbird isn't on the bird checklist for this park, whereas the flycatcher is.

Also, thanks guys for the compliments on less than satisfactory photos.

Very nice, XT. Way to take best advantage of difficult situations.

Western kingbirds do live in your area, but this is as you said a great crested flycatcher. The kingbirds have black or nearly black tails with a white feather at each outer edge of the tail, and they don't have wingbars. The tail is best seen in the first image, the wingbars in the second. This bird, with the rusty tail and wing bars as well as some other marks, is the flycatcher.

Thanks for including different views of the bird. Very helpful for ID purposes and not something a lot of people think to do when posting a bird image.