• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Overseeding

Scoot

I'm going to try to overseed my lawn (once again). It's thin and patchy and really looks like [PoorWordUsage]. Should I skip any fertilizer this Spring? As I understand it (and I'm not sure I really do), it's best to hold off for a couple months after seeding new grass. So... should I overseed now and then fertilize this Fall?

I would rouch up the thin spots, add dirt if needed, and overseed. Another option would be to lay down crabgrass preventer, to prevent weeds from coming up, and try seeding in mid June. The best time to seed is spring and fall, but you can lay down seed anytime during the summer. Put the seed in the freezer for 24hrs (I know is sounds weird) and it will germinate 3-4 days faster.

And don't forget to water, water, water.....

Be careful adding chemicals other than starter fertilizer to newly seeded areas. Read the packaging to make sure you can apply them to newly seeded areas.

As for fixing a thin lawn. If you really worried about it have a good landscape consultant that knows about turf come out and give you some site specific suggestions. I'd offer to come over and take a look but its a bit of a drive to Fargo from the TC.

Start by power raking the area so the surface thatch is loosened up. Then lay out a premium type grass seed. If its a sunny area you want a mix high in Kentucky Blue while low in Perennial Rye. If the area is shady you want a mix high in Fine Fescue, Red or Hard Fescue.

Try a starter fertilizer if you want. Be careful not to lay down more than specified on the instructions. Too much will hurt the seedlings. Also try to minimize us of newly seeded lawns for the first month after seeding.

For large bare spots rake heavily, seed and cover with a product like Scotts Patch Master.

overseeding can be a royal pain and a royal expense in labor and money. The hardest thing in overseeding is getting seed to soil contact. What we do on the golf course is ariefy the area, chop (pulverize) the plugs, overseed at a rate of 2 pounds per 1000, drag mat, fert with a high middle (NPK) then keep the area moist. Remember, your ground temp has to reach 52 degrees for germination. Rule of thumb, you'll be lucky to get 5 % germintion with overseeding projects.