• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

keeping creek chubs alive

PFUNK

Hey guys, a buddy of mine and I have a stream near our homes that is just loaded with creek chubs and golden shiners. We love using the chubs for catfish and the shiners for the walleye, but they are not easy to keep alive. This year we were planning on investing in a tank and aerator to keep them alive longer. We were thinking of just getting a big rubbermaid tote or something and dropping an aerator in it. Will this keep them alive and well? I read a little about this in the bullhead thread but I know bullhead are a heck of a lot tougher than chubs. Also, do any of you trap leeches and if so, what kind of bodies of water do you look for and how do you trap them? Thanks for the help guys

That will work just fine. The only problem is keeping them cool. Not a big issue this time of year but when summer comes a cool dark spot in the basement will do. Never trap leeches but you could sure save alot of money by doing that. I've seen guys in small very shallow ponds with metal roofing laying on the water with the bottoms full of leeches. Don't forget to buy a large filter to keep the water clean.

If I had one choice for bait, it would be creek chubs. I love em.

You are right in that they are a bit harder to keep, but not impossible.

One thing is that they are escape artists so if you don't have a cover, every last one will commit suicide eventually. Trust me I've had it happen.

Also if kept with Bullheads they Bullies will tend to eat them.

The tank setups on the other post will work great for chubs. Just keep the water cool and the cover tight ;\)

PFUNK, if you need any help catching those chubs, let me know grin.gif

Creek Chubs like to eat, they munch down a lot of minnows. If they are cool and well oxygenated, and fed well, they keep a long time.

Man...they can eat! I love feeding them, they woof up minnows right out of your hand.

No doubt Darren those Creek Chubs are escape artists for sure, Redtails too, those darn things can find the smallest of holes and jump on thru!!

PFUNK my advise would be to avoid feeding them at all as it will only add to the ammonia and nitrogen loads. If possible sort and keep them by similar size as they really like to bully one another. Use as large of a container as you can fit/afford, cool water, frequent 50% water changes and adequate aeration keep them quite happy.

These Chub types are some of the hardiest of minnows out there.

fiskyknut

My best luck has been large containers with good aeration and filtration, or building a container and keeping them in a stream. I have a stream on my land and it is the best way for me to keep them alive. Nothing gets along very well with the bullheads in my tank on land. Don't forget to keep a cover on top of the creek chubs or they will jump out.

dtro i will definitely let you know. It's actually not all that far from jordan where i catch them. Pretty close to east union. Usually it's a cinch catching them, just thrown in a little sunny rig with a waxy and they'll hit it. right now the water is too high and the current is strong in the stream. once the water goes down they all congregate in a deep hole. can't wait to get to it.

I use a 2'x4' styrofoam cooler with a dual output aerator with the blue stones for my shiner tank. I do have well water so changing the water is not a problem and once you get it filled and keep the cover on the water will stay cool for a long time as long as you keep the cooler in a fairly cool spot to start with.

Keeping creek chubs happy is the name of the game, and yes what all have mentioned above they are escape artists like no other bait. To replicate their natural surroundings, like what ec30_06 has with a creek in backyard, is ideal but for most this isnt practical. I live in town(city water) so I have to treat the water I give them for chlorine/heavy metals and filtrate because of closed loop system....filtration (mechanical/biological) for the ammonia, and nitrates. Lots of circulation(the water exchange is ramped up), and oxygen for obvious reasons. Temps affect chubs moreso than bullheads as well. I run an inline chiller to keep them happy and to deactivate them (less waste), but not so much as to affect the performance of the biological filtration. I have expiremented with temps after talking with bait stores and aquarium shops and to me the temp is the key link to success with running a chub tank...oh that and a tight tank cover \:\) . I'll try and post picts of tank (old camera took a dump late season last year) when new digital arrives.

Wow you guys weren't kidding when you said those creek chubs are escape artists! I left a small part of the lid on my bait tank open to see if they'd try to get out and sure as heck they were taking runs for that opening in no time and making it out of the tank! They can really get some air. Anyone know what the name of the shiners are that are often caught in our streams? I caught a bunch of shiners today but they are way bigger than what the bait shops sell to you.

Sorry about the delay Pfunk. The holding tank is a 55gallon barrel going out via 2 bulkheads to an external pump, sending the supply into a chiller, then pushing the water vertical to a pond filter, then gravity does the rest. The size of pump and tubing are needed for quick water exchange. The size of filter is used because we're not dealing with acouple goldfish in an aquarium. The filter is pretty industrial so filter maintanence is minimal. There is a neat little feature on the filter feed side. That nipple sticking out the housing is there to mix air into the water using the venturi effect...I think smile ; anyway it really adds oxygen to the biological process in filter and minnows below. I also run a seperate bubbler when a heavy load is put on tank with extra minnows mostly for piece of mind.

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

I got acouple bullheads in there to activate tank getting the biological process before I get creek chubs.

PICT0012.jpg

Nice set up, Slowhand. I'd love to do a setup like that for a sucker / chub tank but I think the Bride might exercise her line item veto. Great pics, thanks for taking the time to post this.

Steve

Great set up! You really thought it all out when you made that one. Wish I could build one that nice but don't quite have the space or moola right now. Just got mine in a big rubbermaid tote with some bubbling stones and they've been doing great.

I figured you might be handpicking your bait for tonight. I'm getting set for a trip to the bait shop to get some suckers. I'll try to find a pretty one just like yours.

Weather could be a factor in this year's first Moore's Cat Contest. Cloudy, low of 42 degrees, a little breezy from the NNW - I've got a few spots that will get me out of the wind but they have been catless so far. Sunset is 2037. Moon is waxing at 98%. St Croix is 681.2' and coming down but still 6' above normal and water temp is a cool 57 degrees.

Twins game starts at 1900 and the Cat Contest starting gun BOOMs at the same time.

OK, everybody - game on!!!!!

Steve

Man, I'd so LOVE to be out there for the Moore's contest....unfortunately, 1900 is when my wife starts work this evening, til 0700 tomorrow. If Adam (our 5 month old) was about 4 years older, we would partake. For now I'll have to live vacariously through FM and IDA every 3rd weekend.

Thank for the compliments fellas. I run that setup w/ my fishing buddy and through trial and error/bouncing ideas off each other things have a way of turning out. SteveD and your comment on the bride thing, I think thats why I'm stuck with it....he's married and I'm not smile .