• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs boat?

Similar to a post from riverkid, would a 1997 Crestliner Fishhawk 1650 be a big enough boat to handle mille lacs on semi rough days (2 foot rollers)? I personally wouldn't fish Mille Lacs with the 4-5 footers you guys talk about but would it handle it on a little calmer days? Thanks guys!

As long as you have the wide beam you should be just fine...obviously don't head out to 9 mile flat with your 50hp on a semi windy day because that could make your life tough. I had a 50 before and it could handle Mille Lacs with some 3 ft rollers but keep the bow into the waves.

you should be fine with that boat. Like everyone else said, the width of the boat is really going to help if it is a wider boat. Being its a 97 and not a 87 or whatever, you should be ok to handle the lake.

An annual question for mille lacs and big water, now your conditions and get off if you don't feel right. I have fished mille lacs on many days w/ a 14' boat and 15 or 20 horse motor. Conditions can also change quickly while you are on the water. small change in wind speed and directions makes a big difference. Thirty years ago there were not to many 18' boats out there... Just don't let those twenties w/ all the stickers on them scare ya.

Using good judgement and knowing how to handle your boat in rough water is probably the most important thing. You can get into trouble in rough water with a 18-20ft boat if you do not know what you are doing.

jigginjerk is 100% correct - know your boat and how to handle it, and use good judgement.

I had a 16.5 foot tiller boat with a 60 for a few years, I don't ever remember not being able to take it out on Mille Lacs ---- for sure there were never any times I wouldn't go out in that boat but would have gone out in an 18 or 20 or 21 footer.