• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stared my F150(03)today-It sounds like a diesel???

My ford 2003 F150(56,000) started clacking at lunch time. No problems up to this point. I checked the oil. That was ok. I put premium in yesterday for the first time. No dummy lights come on but it makes quite a racket. I drove it home. I really did not notice a lack of power, just noise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The dealership is about 10 miles from my house. Should I have it towed or would it be safe to drive it directly to the dealership? Thanks in advance.

My biggest concern is if I can drive it to the shop. I don't want to cause damage to the engine. I would think if it was serious a service engine soon light would come on. Thanks for your reply. Can the car be driven if it was either of the thing you mentioned?

If it was a plug it would be a popping noise. If it was just a blown plug it really wouldnt hurt it to drive 10 miles. If it is engine rattleing, the damage is already done!

ddsbyday,

What eng. do you have? 5.4L?

What I would tell people over the phone, when in doubt, have it towed. My luck, they would blow something up on the way in and guess where the fingers would be pointed.

How many miles did you drive it home? If it was a lack of oil, the eng. would have (mostly) locked up by now.

You mention you put Premium in it for the first time yesterday, was this before or after the noise started?

Quote:
What I would tell people over the phone, when in doubt, have it towed. My luck, they would blow something up on the way in and guess where the fingers would be pointed.

I was thinking of this after I typed it. I was thinking that I hope I didnt just send him out and do more damage, and then he be pointing fingers my way. So yes the safe thing to do is have it towed. But chances are if it is the engine knocking, the damage has already been done.

I will add 4wanderingeyes, I have seen a couple 5.4L's drive many miles with a blown plug and come out O.K. grin.gif

Yes, if its a knock'in, something going be a pop'in soon and with virtually no dealers O/Hing engines now a days, it will be a reman going in anyways. Why not try to save your self a tow bill by making it to the dealer or shop, unless you have AAA.

Originally Posted By: Macgyver55
Did it start doing it all at once? You could check to see if it popped a spark plug out. They had some problems with this for some years, I believe including 03.

I blew a plug out on my 99' 5.4L, it was VERY loud. Thanks FORD, that was a pleasurable experience.

I did not have time to deal with it today. Tomorrow I am going to make a run for it. Its a click click ckick sound. Seems to get quieter as the rpms go up. The clicking started about 20 miles after the premium was put in. When I say premium it is from a discount (cheepest gas in town)outfit by my office. Could bad gas get an engine clicking. There is no popping or missing. No dummy lights and the power doesn't seem to be affected. The dummy lights work because they come on when I turn the key. I will let you guys know when I find out. Thanks for your insight. It seems to be the worst (loudest) at idle but is in rythem with the engine.

I thought the same thing shack, ping. If it only does it under moderate to heavy acceleration I think ping is a possibility and yes gas can have an influence on this. If it makes the noise at idle I'm pretty sure we can rule it out.

I think your choice to get it in and at least let somebody look/listen is a good one!!

Keep us up to date!

The fact that you have put in premium, and from a cheap place, might just be the problem. When it comes to fuel, premium does NOT mean better. It just means higher octane, which burns cooler, which in turn means it ignites slower and fires the piston down at a later rate than it should. High compression and high performance engines are designed for this, whereas almost all passenger vehicles and light trucks are engineered to run 87 octane. It could be either the cheap gas, contamination from the fill station tanks (a common issue with the discount places) or simply too high of an octane rating. If the tick tick tick noise isn't too bad, my suggestion would be to burn that tank down as soon as possible and get some good fuel in. If I remember right, ping is pre-detonation and knock is post-detonation. If the noise is horrific, I would suggest getting the tank drained.

I took it to tires plus on my way to work. They think internal damage. They changed the oil and it quieted down by 1/2 but think I should think about saving for a new engine. I did not pick it up today but from their description my trade in value is not good. I guess I will start looking for a rebuilt engine. Maybe a new one. I appreciate your help guys. I already had the worst case senario in my head so I didn't pass out when I got the news. I don't have the $ for a new motor right now so I will have to drive it. I hope Fords have a little die hard in them. You guys certainly know your stuff. Any suggestions on motors would be appreciated. I don't think I would want the same motor though. That spark plug issue was brought up at tires plus also.

Originally Posted By: ddsbyday
I took it to tires plus on my way to work. They think internal damage. They changed the oil and it quieted down by 1/2 but think I should think about saving for a new engine. I did not pick it up today but from their description my trade in value is not good. I guess I will start looking for a rebuilt engine. Maybe a new one. I appreciate your help guys. I already had the worst case senario in my head so I didn't pass out when I got the news. I don't have the $ for a new motor right now so I will have to drive it. I hope Fords have a little die hard in them. You guys certainly know your stuff. Any suggestions on motors would be appreciated. I don't think I would want the same motor though. That spark plug issue was brought up at tires plus also.

I dont know how good of a customer you are at the Ford dealership, or if you bought this new. Ford has programs for customers to help them out in cases like this. You could be just looking at 10-20% of the actual cost, Ford and the dealership would pay the rest. It is something to look into anyways! I sure the shops are looking for work right now anyhow, so it would be hard for them to turn down a big dollar job!

Ya, how many miles on the rig?

4.W.E. brings up a great point. Ford will have programs for a once or maybe twice big dollar repair. These plans are called a P05 or PO7 After Warranty Assistance programs (A.W.A.). These programs are in place to assist customers if a large dollar repair is needed. It is supposed to entice a customer into buying their brand again in the future.

These is some criteria that may be in need though. First and foremost, you may need maintenance records, preferably from a dealer and better yet maintenance performed at that dealer. Most times the decision of coverage is made at the dealer level, but do to tightening issues with the manufactures, prior authorization may not be authorized until after the manufacture reviews the repair. All though very rare, a Field Service Engineer might have to pay a visit (diesel claims).

It is worth it if you meet the criteria. Usually it is a 10% customer, 10% dealer and and 80% from factory type of deal. That dealer has to pay 10% of the repair, so you as a customer should look at this. The best thing for the customer to do is not to offended the dealership in any way, again it is their decision to even file a claim or not and they can help in getting the claim authorized. Next thing, no this should be the first thing, have them look at it as if it had never been to another shop ever. This instills your are loyal. The other tidbit is to call the manufacture and start a case if you meet the criteria and the dealer is saying “no go”. Also, yes dealers are looking for service work. It pays "big" dollars to the dealer to be able to repair this and these are rare now-a-days. Also I think it would be wise to not bring up the P05 or PO7 programs, untill it needs to be said (when "no go" has been said).

Well that is that in a nut shell.

Good luck if you meet the criteria and are going for it.

Timing chain or guides in a Ford whistle.gif.

I bet a lack of oil pressure to the upper cly. heads, due to an issue down town. Rod bearings or front main.

But!!!! Airjer could have a good bet going though.

I have faith in the boys at TP and if they are not trying to sell an eng. oil flush, they have faith it is not good \:\( .

That was the diagnosis. Rebuild or new enginge. I can't go the dealership route because I do it myself. Tip for everyone keep records. I am going the rebuild route. I have another vehicle so I will drive that this summer and start doing some research on rebuilds where a warranty is offered. Thanks guys