• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker motors

GRAND DAD

Am getting ready to buy a new boat and I have never had a new boat before and am trying to make up my mind if I want to go ahead and get a kicker motor with the boat but I have no real idea what the benefits are for having one. I guess my question is this. Go with a bigger motor like a 175 or down grade and get like 115 with a kicker motor. Any help and Suggestions would be Appreciated

I guess alot of it also depends on what style or type of fishing you intend or do mostly, for me a kicker would definately be a must with either motor. I run a 100 horse and absolutely love the kicker for being able to really slow the presentation down, trolling cranks, spinners etc, I fish mostly walleyes, the added security of a back up motor is something to consider as well. The one thing that gets brought up alot as well is to not underpower your boat with the main motor, so if budget restraints are in place you might want to consider the larger motor for the time being and then adding the kicker at a later point. Another thing that is great about the kicker is the fuel consumption, which seems to be minimal in comparison to running the big motor all day, If it was me in a perfect world I'd get the 175 with a kicker considering that doesn't overrate the intended boats horsepower rating. Enjoy the new ride

I agree with Bigeye30".

You for sure don't want to underpower your boat, putting a 115 on a boat that would take a 175 is a big mistake in my opinion.

Whether or not you need a kicker really depends on how you like to fish and what you like to do. They really excel for pulling cranks and for some live bait fishing for walleyes.

Cool thank you very much thats the kind of info am looking for.The boat is also coming with a 65lb trolling motor so I guess I can still use that and save my pennes for a kicker at a later date .

Originally Posted By: GRAND DAD
Cool thank you very much thats the kind of info am looking for.The boat is also coming with a 65lb trolling motor so I guess I can still use that and save my pennes for a kicker at a later date .

I have a smaller boat but my electric trolling motor can move the boat faster than the slowest the main can go. Granted mine is only a 75 but most new motors can push you slow enough to troll.

GRAND DAD,

Good luck w/your decision. I've used my 65 lb trolling motor (bow mount) in some seriously heavy waves and windy conditions, and it's performed great. I agree with most that the larger main motor is the way to go. It will also help with resale value, down the line. Kickers are great, but often times are an unecessary luxury.

I agree with Eyestalker. I don't have a kicker on mine, it would be nice to have, but not needed. I use my bowmount troller ad it gets me around just fine. Plus if you get a co-pilot you can go anywhere in the boat to control the motor. Get the bigger moter on the boat, you won't regret that. Kicker can be added in a year or two if you can't afford it now and want one down the road.

A kicker might not be completely necessary but if you're fishing on windy days you'll be glad you had one...I got a T8 last year and I use that thing all the time, windy days i'll use it to back troll or hold the boat on a spot when jigging, something you cannot do with a bigger motor or trolling motor effectively. I also use it a lot for trolling cranks, it's quiter and can troll down better.

The kicker keeps the hours down on any larger motor no matter what, and is more fuel effiecent. I have the yamaha T8 and it's awesome especially with the electronic speed control to take it down to any speed I want. If the weather get rough you can always troll and pull riggers with the big one aginst the wind.

the other thing about a kicker is safety, with only one motor on big water your stuck, If you have mechanical failure,

One more thing, If you visit lakes with horse power limitations you'll have to have a kicker or forget fishing them.