• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boilerguy's misfit boat

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be something that won't allow the crank to pull the gas like a seal, bad or dirty leaf valve, or low compression.

I'm tending to agree with ST's thoughts here. I would guess crank seal(s).

Most of my engine experience is with snowmobile engines but when you have an old engine with a bad crankshaft seal, a "bog" when you hit the throttle is the result. You can chase the problems around and around and around with a bad crank seal.

The suspense is killing me.

I will throw down fuel line and squeeze bulb issue. I heard the cheap attwater or other brands causes issues like this. Thats what I feel and all I would know grin

Good luck BG

I have not heard anything back yet. The tech told me he may not get it done before the 4th, which is actually fine with me as I'll be out of town over the 4th.

Anyone wanna toss down some bets?? I'm betting carbs.

Anyone??? Anyone???

Either a synch and link job on the carbs or a leaky gasket as others have said is my bet now. Either way Boilerguy - both are a bit difficult to do for a good shade tree mechanic.

marine_man

Which is pretty much the reason it's at the dealer for a factory trained fella to figure out. It's gone over my head.

So sorry for the lack of info.

I'm embarrassed to say what was wrong, just as the tech was as embarrassed to take as long as he did to figure it out.

Turns out, the woodruff key for the flywheel sheared and the flywheel turned about 30 or so degrees on the crankshaft, thus throwing the timing WAY off. So, it started and idled, once the throttle got touched it bogged and died.

Now, it starts with no choke, idles mint, runs awesome, and all is good with life!!!!!

I have heard of similar things... it throws the timing off...

No need to be embarassed about it. It should be satisfying to have it figured out, and operating well. I won't say problems like that are not frustrating.... they are....but , you learned a lot, made the right moves to get it fixed, and now you can enjoy YOUR BOAT . GOOD JOB, I say. smile