• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

marine plywood

LOGBUILDER

I started this quest on friday. I can tell you this, Menards can get it for you, for a price. I told them I needed 2 sheets of 3/4" marine grade and they told me I had to get a pallet, or get on a list and wait untill they sold enough to bring in a pallet. eek.gif

I think I will just get regular green treat and carpet sick.gif

Neighbor guy...DO NOT USE GREEN TREAT! The chemicals in the green treat will react with aluminum and you will start to have corrosion in time. It is about the worst thing you can do to a boat. You would be better off getting standard plywood and applying a ton of sealer than using green treat. I have regular plywood floor in my boat that still hasn't been treated, but I also store my lil lund in the garage and it doesn't get wet very often. Only the occasional rain or snow while on the lake or river.

The guy who did my boat, and has been doing it for decades told me that he has never ever used marine grade plywood for flooring in any boat he's ever done and always uses green treated. I would agree with polar that sealing whatever you use is probably the biggest thing.

I was in need of a new transom for an aluminum boat. The wood that you need is CRX and lumber yards are not allowed to carry it anymore. The old treated lumber had arsnic in it and was banned. The new treated stuff was so corrosive that even deck galvanized hardware was being eaten by it and they had to start using double dipped galvanized for decks and outdoor lumber needs. You can only get the stuff from a marine dealer. Funny if the stuff is so bad for the environment why can boats still use it in the lakes. I would think the last place you want arsenic would be in a lake. I just bought two pieces of plywood and sprayed the heck out of it with spray thompsons water sealant. It will probably only last a few years but it is a really old boat.

The ACQ and AC2 treated plywood will corrode aluminum at a very fast rate. Last year a new treated product called micronized copper was approved for use in MN. It is safe for use with aluminum. It is available at a few lumber yards and home centers. Don't bother looking fot it at Menards, John Menard is a major investor in the company that developed ACQ.

The treated plywood you'll find instock at lumberyards and home centers is not rated for horizontal applications, so it shouldn't be used for a boat floor even if it is aluminum safe. It has to many voids and it bubbles and seperates when used in horizontal applications.

Pat I have 2 docks made from treated one is old arsenic type 22 yrs old 1/2" ply 2' OC joists and blocking 1/2" 16 span rate.May need replacing soon.

My new dock is framed the same this newer one is ACQ 1/2" 16" SR went in in 2001 and is yet just fine.

I've read in posts here that ply is not for horizontal apps?? Where do you find this and is it refering to 40 or 60 treated,all treated is exterior glue.So I dont understand? Please send me to a evaluation of Treated ply stating no horizontal Apps. Thanks

PDF] Professional Finishing of CCA Pressure-Treated Wood

347k - Adobe PDF - View as HTML

... widely used in such applications as. utility poles, railroad ... horizontal deck surfaces,

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1992/ross92a.pdf

Originally Posted By: Pat K
The ACQ and AC2 treated plywood will corrode aluminum at a very fast rate. Last year a new treated product called micronized copper was approved for use in MN. It is safe for use with aluminum. It is available at a few lumber yards and home centers. Don't bother looking fot it at Menards, John Menard is a major investor in the company that developed ACQ.

The treated plywood you'll find instock at lumberyards and home centers is not rated for horizontal applications, so it shouldn't be used for a boat floor even if it is aluminum safe. It has to many voids and it bubbles and seperates when used in horizontal applications.

Menards has its own treating facility-they treat the majority of the common lumber and decking they sell. They can get marine grade plywood, but it needs to be ordered in.

Originally Posted By: sparcebag
Pat I have 2 docks made from treated one is old arsenic type 22 yrs old 1/2" ply 2' OC joists and blocking 1/2" 16 span rate.May need replacing soon.

My new dock is framed the same this newer one is ACQ 1/2" 16" SR went in in 2001 and is yet just fine.

I've read in posts here that ply is not for horizontal apps?? Where do you find this and is it refering to 40 or 60 treated,all treated is exterior glue.So I dont understand? Please send me to a evaluation of Treated ply stating no horizontal Apps. Thanks

Most manufactures got away from the old .4 or .6 retention rates for treated lumber. Now they rate it by grade--"above grade only (old .4)" "below grade (old .6)" I haven't heard about a horizontal grade treated, but If you get marine grade specifically and use stainless steel fastners, you should be fine.

Well 40 is and was always above grade. and 60 is and was below grade its never changed and horizontial Apps, look at my last post it states horizontial use in decks.I edited it and put in a referance,Just so people arent misled on the Applications and usage of treated ply.

I always look at occupations in profiles to see if people may be involved in a field that uses materials thay speak of and if I see a say lawyer giving advice on a medical procedure I'm skeptical,But neither you or pat have any listed.So like I said bad info is not useful and may lead a FMer the wrong way.

I always look at occupations in profiles to see if people may be involved in a field that uses materials thay speak of and if I see a say lawyer giving advice on a medical procedure I'm skeptical,But neither you or pat have any listed.So like I said bad info is not useful and may lead a FMer the wrong way.

spacebag,

I work for one of the big box home improvement centers.

I spent 3 years ordering lumber for stores. while I never saw the spec sheet, every time a lumber co. rep walked the dept with me they made a special point of stating the treated plywood was not rated for horizotal uses because of the number and size of voids.

They also have Road Shows every year to show off new products and pass on product knowlege about the products we carry. The not rated for horizontal use was always stressed and was represented as the industry standard for instock treated plywood at the retail level.

Pat this has nothing against you personally! I also worked at two box stores Men.and Knox I mostly did material take offs for contracters,I got these jobs through a on job injury and the insurance Co that covered my work comp MADE ME take the jobs!Untill I settled.In my experience working there not many employees knew their s#i%.no experience!in the field.I spent 90% of my time serving customers cause the employees could'nt answer questions.Most times they gave answers that were wrong because they were uninformed and they helped someone build something was their experience.Did you read the reference in my last post? where is states horizontial applications.

I quit each job because my job description was working with contracters not the puplic on the floor

After a recent continuing education course for contractors, I was told the same thing by a sales rep for a large treating company. They never have nor never will recommend using treated plywood for horizontal applications. You go ahead and use what you want. Today's treated plywood will eat the aluminum structure in no time and ruin the boat. I, for one, could care less what you use, but when someone asks and some other know it all tries to say the given information is wrong, then I am sorry I tried to help.

Ok, well that solves that, no green treat. I can not aford an aluminum floor, guess I will just use sanded flooring, It is a pain in the rear thou because I store outside so it is exposed to the elements all of the time.

Mabe we can get a bunch of us with rotten floors and remodel projects to get the rate down.

Originally Posted By: polarsusd81
Neighbor guy...DO NOT USE GREEN TREAT! The chemicals in the green treat will react with aluminum and you will start to have corrosion in time. It is about the worst thing you can do to a boat. You would be better off getting standard plywood and applying a ton of sealer than using green treat. I have regular plywood floor in my boat that still hasn't been treated, but I also store my lil lund in the garage and it doesn't get wet very often. Only the occasional rain or snow while on the lake or river.

Tom has this personally happened to you, because I have two buddies that used green treated in there remods and have had no corosion problems whatsoever over the coarse of a few years and if it's going to happen don't you think it would show by now? how long does it usually take to start showing up?

No it has not personally happened to me in a boat. But I used to use millions of pounds of aluminum a year at my old job, and have seen corrosion happen in many forms, green treat lumber contact being one of them. If the conditions are right, it wont take long. Certain grades of aluminum will be effected differently (time frame) but after seeing what can happen, I wouldn't recommend it.

Here is a photo of my baby in progress. I was on the team responsible for designing and testing the wall system for this tower.

Trump International Hotel and Tower - Chicago, IL

2451361974_753431da87.jpg

The issue is to find marine plywood, not discuss treated lumber.

There has been many discussions about this, I feel that better be safe than sorry and not use it, then it's up to the individual to make a decision

Suggesting remedies that might damage somebody's property is not the intention of this forum.

The guy's are right about the corrosiveness of the new treatments ACQ and AC2. DO NOT USE IT NEXT TO ALUM. The old CCA treated material is still available at local yards as far as I know, because it is still permitted for use on wood basements, just will have to ask a local lumber yard.

If your looking for an alternative use baltic birch plywood and seal with several coats of spar varnish. This stuff is not cheap but well worth the cost!