• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poskin Lake Fishing Reports

I was hoping to find a little information on this lake. My brother in law has a place on it but I never got over there to fish yet. I am this Memorial day weekend. He doesn't fish so I was hoping to find out what type of fish to target. He said there are walleyes but are hard to find? How about crappies? What is the lake clarity like. He mentioned that it can get a little murky? I asume this is typical in the dog day's of summer? Thanks in advance for your input....

It's pretty murky, so fishing walleye in the day won't be a problem. I've never fished it though. It appears in my Northwest Wisconsin maps book and the lake looks small enough that with a depth finder and a little intuition you should be able to locate fish. As a general trend for the region Walleye are pretty tough to catch even where they are present, whereas crappie are pretty abundant and relatively easy to catch. With clarity like that I would expect dissolved oxygen to be pretty low so you would either be targeting fish in pretty shallow water (<15ft) or suspended.

Best thing to do is stop in at the gas station on hwy in Almena they have all the bait you may want there and if the right person is behind the counter you may get the answers your looking for.

Thanks vman59.

I will certainly stop by the bait shop to pick up my bait and ask a few questions.

Unfortunatly I will not be able to do that until I am on the way up there. With 3 young kids the less gear I have to bring the better. If anyone else has any input please pipe in. Not looking for any hot spots but, just if if is even worth bringing the fishing gear.

Thanks

Poskin lake isn't far from my cabin and it holds some decent panfish but you'll have to search or the larger crappies and sunfish, haven't caught a walleye in there but have mainly fished pannies in the spring. The Flambeau, Chippewea and Holcombe flowages are right in the area and are great fisheries. Early season you can catch alot of eyes, pike and smallies and the catfishing can be awsome in the evenings if you find some of the deeper stretches so you may want to consider those waters. No boat necessary for the most part you can find wadable water. Good luck.

Tunrevir~

Hi all!

Going fishing tomorrow morning, thinking about trying Poskin Lake. Never been there, never fished it, and I wanted to throw it out for any advice from anyone who has fished it recently. We will likely be targeting walleye early, and then bass as the morning progresses, maybe some crappies. Not looking for anything too specific, maybe some depths, or baits/lures to use, or if there is a better option in the area to fish. We're heading out of Star Prairie, so if there is a better option about the same distance I would appreciate. Thanks in advance, I'll post some results!

Well, we went out on Monday, and man was it windy! Slow going in the morning, couple bites on the walleye, but we couldn't seal the deal. With no trolling motor we drifted too fast and couldn't hardly get a good anchor hold. We switched tactics and did ok on bass, only one legal out of probably 15 to 20, and in the last hour we caught close to a dozen northerns, biggest was 20 inches or so, a lot of 12 to 16's, but they were fun on my ultralight! Lure of the day was a spinnerbait tipped with a double tail grub.

Is the water in Poskin still the color of pea soup?

My grandma lived on the lake, and we'd fish off her dock when we were kids. All I can remember about it was how green the water was. And I remember one other time during a Mayfly hatch the water looked like it was boiling from all the crappies eating off the surface.

It wasn't that green yet, but the weeds were coming for sure. We had a lot of that slimy green stuff on our lures. We did see a few crappies feeding off the top, but they weren't interested in anything we had...