• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What drives you?

Ok.. a little continue from my thanks thread.... I have 2 major passions in life. Archery and Fishing. I get a huge rush when I'm able to make a perfect archery shot, especially a long range shot of like 70 yards. Just love that feeling. Same with setting the hook on a bass when I knew the fish was going to be in the area and made the perfect cast.

So... do you all get the same feeling when you snap what you believe is the perfect shot? What drives you to spend so much time sneaking up on animals, spending countless hours in bug infested and stinky swamps, with thousands of dollars worth of gear?

Like I said in my other post... I am so glad you do, I love to see the picts. Many of them I feel look better than the real thing. Matter of fact I would rather see the picts than the real thing you are shooting.

Power and money are my driving forces. ;\) Actually, I do get a huge rush of adrenalin when I feel I just captured an awesome shot. Unfortunately, I almost have an anxiety attack until I get home and get the photos copied to my PC. crazy.gif I really don't know for sure until I can see them on the monitor. What really drives me is seeing photos that other talented individuals have shot, and knowing that it's in me to do the same. I also want to capture moments that others haven't yet. Basically, I have to prove it to myself. Also, like Paul mentioned, it doesn't hurt the ego any either, when others sincerely compliment your work. As far as getting into stink bug infested swamps, I haven't become that dedicated yet. grin.gif Also, getting paid for your work never hurts either.

Deitz, I'm sure you've hit a good part of it with the intro to your question. I've wanted to do this since I won a box camera at the County Fair ring toss when I was 8 years old. During our vocation unit in 9th grade social studies, I researched "naturalist photographer" knowing it was what I wanted to do. Unfortunately, my research correctly pointed out how difficult it is to make a living at it, and I chose a different career path to follow. I've always kept a finger on the shutter, but didn't seriously get into it until my financial situation made it possible and the kids left the nest so I had more time. As I've spent more time with it, the passion has grown. I'm always looking for ways to be better at it - from getting into position to take "the perfect shot" to understanding how to use my equipment better, both technique and bells and whistles. I've been a hunter and fisherman all my life, and I guess I've finally gotten to the point where the actual shooting or catching of game is not the thrill that it used to be - but hunting it still is. My final product is less venison in the freezer and more photos on the wall.

Deitz,

In my situation, I grew up watching my father taking photos, sitting with him in the darkroom watching him developing pictures. He's very proud of his work and has taught me the ways of photography. Only this is very easy work in the "darkroom" area where you don't need a darkroom. Just a computer. But the work is getting the shot. And I get the excitement taking the shot..but the REALLY excitement is wondering how it's going to look on the computer, how the picture will turn out. It's the planning of the shot, how you want the shot to be....

I'm a fisherman also..same thing, same concept only with a camera! \:\)

That's a real thinking type of question. I guess for me it's the ability to be as creative as I want to be. I've always been a creative person looking for an outlet. I can't draw or paint but I think I have a good eye for it. I also do some woodworking which satisfies my creativity but it's also quite expensive. I mean, so is photography, but I can go out and shoot 1000 photos and it won't cost me a dime that day but if I want to build a side table, now that's going to cost me some money. So that's not something I can do all the time.

I love waterfowl hunting but don't really care for eating duck. I eat it because I shoot it but I wouldn't pay for it. There's been times when I've said that I wish you could do like a shoot and release with animals just like for fishing. Well, I think this is about as close as a person can get.

I still love hunting but because of the time spent with friends. I get just as big or bigger thrills from getting the right shots with my camera.

I was a hunting fanatic for 30+ years-but after doing the photo thing for awhile,I haven't picked up a gun [save for trap and sporting clays] to shoot a critter in a looong time.

If I can capture the image-I have it,forever-and the critter walks away,with the oppotunity to be photographed again,maybe with a bigger rack next time. I also have proof of the sighting. Also the potential of an income from the image. Not to mention I can stay put and fire away and not drive all the critters into the next section after firing one shot [from a gun].

I used to love gun hunting because of the peace and quiet of the woods and the escape from people and traffic,etc. I always felt bad when it was time to pull the trigger because I new that the silence would be shattered and the woods would not be the same for a period of time. With the camera,the silence is never shattered after I take the shot,yet I feel like I still reap the same rewards-even more so. Myself and others can enjoy the results for years and years.

With a camera I can hunt year-round. No license,no ammo,no noise.

I have also found that all the private property places that I died to hunt on but the owners said NO to everyone welcomed me and my camera and gave me free run of all their property!

Now don't think I've turned into an anti gun freak. I still own a large collection of rifles,shotguns and handguns and I will always be ready to kill stuff that needs killin'

As I said,I still shoot Trap and Sporting on State/regional level competitions.

Am I still a shooter? Heck Yes!

Am I still a hunter? Yep, but now I don't carry a gun-i carry a Canon!