• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on Idle on 01' 500 Polaris

JP Z

So here is the deal. Lately my atv just run even at the lowest idle. So basically even if I'm stopped I MUST have the brake on or else I'm moving either in Reverse or Forward.....any suggestions?

Thanks Much,

Check out the belt. Take the belt housing cover off and see if there is anything that looks out of place. For some reason your primary is catching the belt and causing the machine to move.

Does it squeal at all?

You might be able to get by just adding or removing shims from behind the secondary clutch. Use a light and look at where the belt is sitting in the very front part of the drive clutch. It should be centered evenly between the two sheaves. If it looks like the belt is too far toward the outside, take the secondary clutch off and remove a shim from behind it. If it looks like the belt is too far toward the inside, take the secondary clutch off and add a shim behind it. This should help but if your machine has EBS, there is a couple of bushings in the drive clutch that should be replaced too.

He did mention this just started so if it were an alignment issue between the primary and secondary, it would have been doing this since day one.

The '01 does have EBS.

If he's been pushing this heavy snow lately, I'm guessing that either the clutch is dirty or the bushings that norm mentioned need to be replaced.

Ya, it's not real easy. Take your time. I think some of the bolts are different size, so try to keep them straight. You can pull loose the fenders from the foot well and maybe take apart some of that to get at it easier.

Make sure you can get at it easy because that gasket around the cover needs to be put back on straight to keep it waterproof.

I got all the bolts off the cover. Seems I need to remove the foot well and that fender possibly. Of course if this isn't the problem at least I know how to take the beast apart eh?

WEll, nothing wrong with the belt. Tweaked the idle screw a bit to see if that was the issue. Noticed now that I had to have it choked to start it (even before I tweaked the idle) And it squeals.

If it squeals, the belt is too tight. Did the spring in the primary look good? Maybe some of these other guys have the right idea with the washer they mentioned.

As for the having to use the choke.........not sure myself......A good guess is maybe while putting it back together maybe you pinched a breather hose??????????

Take the belt off and look between the sheaves of the primary clutch. You will see a part in there that has grooves cut in it. This is the one way clutch for your engine braking. Spin it counterclockwise and it will lock onto the shaft, spin it clockwise and it should turn with only a slight amount of drag. Check to make sure it is in tight between the two sheaves by tryin to slide it back and forth on the shaft. It should have only a very slight amount of play if any at all. If it feels even a little bit loose in there you will probably need to bring it in to get those two bushings replaced.