• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can Am next with power steering?

Dave S

I was going through videos online of the Can Am Spyder. In one of the videos, they talk about the DPS, or Dynamic Power Steering. This looks to be a perfect technology to drop into their quad line up, and who knows, maybe even be the first with PS in a snowmobile.

Will they be smart and have DPS as standard equipment in their SxS they're working on?

I'm surprised that grin.gif Honda grin.gif has been the only one to add a GPS to their machines.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is in their SxS and the new outlander. I'm sure they think they already have the best of everything else......ATV Magazine had an article about the SxS. CanAm says it will for surely be in the market of the Rzr and have the 800 V-twin in it. Not in the market of the dual purpose Rhino, Prowler, and Teryx.

As for the GPS, they are outdated so fast, I'm not sure it was a good idea or not. For the price, I think alot of Honda buyers just opted for a handheld.

While on the subject, the auto makers are including integrated brake controllers now on some of their trucks. Not a good idea IMO. They already have trouble with them on GM's and Fords. Many of the owners would rather have an aftermarket controller of their choice that can be easily replaced.

I actually had to go back and re-read the posts from gm-trucks. It is said by some that the controller simply does not work, and some don't work only on older trailers. Others have said they work fine.

As far as I read right now, there is no fix and an integrated brake controller cannot be added to any vehicle, although an aftermarket controller can be added if the vehicle has the right code that includes the pig tail for it.

That was as far as I read into it and wasn't happy with GM about it. With the Ford one, who knows, who cares, it's a Ford and it will break something sooner or later anyhow. \:D

I guess I'll need to find a large enough trailer to make sure mine works ok. Never had a use for electric brakes but figured if it was available, I would get it anyhow.

We're kind of straying off topic here \:\)

How come only the Griz 700 has it along with the Honda(whichever one it is)? How come no other models or brands? Is it really a concern? Do the CanAms turn very hard?

I wonder how high the price would go with a power steering system on the already high dollar Can Am...........

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
I guess I'll need to find a large enough trailer to make sure mine works ok. Never had a use for electric brakes but figured if it was available, I would get it anyhow.

We're kind of straying off topic here \:\)

If you haven't accomplishe this tsk by next ice season we can get a few of us together and take a fishing trip, you can pull my Lodge. You'll know quickly if it works properly. I don't have the integrated, mine has aftermarket.

My outlander 400 doesn't turn as easy as my old sport quads at very low speeds, but where it really will help is when the wheels are locked and the biggest thing, when hitting a unexpected stump or rock a little off. It may also help with bigger tires.

Originally Posted By: pulsar_nx
My outlander 400 doesn't turn as easy as my old sport quads at very low speeds, but where it really will help is when the wheels are locked and the biggest thing, when hitting a unexpected stump or rock a little off. It may also help with bigger tires.

My 800 turned ok with stockers,, now with larger rims and tires seems harder, but I would never need power steering.

Couple things I'm looking at are a steering stabalized< avoid broken wrist and some flex bars

another thing on the intergrated brake, I've had after maket knee bashers b4, nothing wrong, but the intergrated you know when for ex lights not connected brakes not working the inticater goes red and beeps.

We pull a lot of heavy equipment, and rear assure THEY ARE WORKING!

What? haha

My Tekonsha Prodigy tells me if it's hooked up or not, but no it doesn't detect burnt bulbs. That is what your pre-trip inspection is for. ;\)

The power steering would be nice just to dampen the jerkiness you get on some trails with roots and rocks.

Originally Posted By: killerloop1

Couple things I'm looking at are a steering stabalized< avoid broken wrist and some flex bars

I have a steering stabilizer and it has saved me many times from having the bars ripped out of my hands etc

I dont currently have the fasst flex bars but the quads I have ridden that have them really make you less fatigued after a day of riding and they just soak up any vibrations or jolts.

these 2 add ons are very $$$ but worth it if you ride alot.

I want to add that p/s on the Grizz is awsome, you dont know you need it until you have it!

As for the brake controlers, if there is a problem in the trailer brakes (bad or high resistance in actuator) the controler wont activate the brakes! I see this as a shortfall with the system. But if there isnt any problem with the trailer brakes, the system is as dependable or more then the after market! And they have a brain to know how hard to apply the brakes, depending on speed, it can tell how much the trailer is pushing you, how far you are pushing on the brake pedal, how much of a grade you are trying to stop on, ect.. Lots of advantages over them. If they could only make them still work when there is a problem with the trailer brakes.

The biggest concern with them are people old trailers have a bad actuater, it would work with their aftermarket brake controler, but not the factory built in one!

From what I have heard and read, 4wanderingeyes is right on the button about the trailer brake controller.

The part that bothers me is there is no replacement, except an aftermarket one.

For the PS, I have to try this out! I hear so much about it, but it isn't a big thing in the atv market yet.

I have noticed that making the turns on our winter rides really warmed me up when it was cold out! \:D

I would think power steering would be great! I ridden a couple 700 grizzlies at the demos and you can ride it in dif-lock just like you would in 2wd! It would really help when plowing because you could leave the dif-lock in all the time and not have to fight it! And best of all what would it be like in the mud!!! You could just point the wheels any direction you want at any time! Its not such a issue with factory tires but if you put anything larger or more aggresive on it can be dang near impossible to turn around at the end of a mudhole without unlocking the dif-lock. I know the next one I buy will definetly have it! cool.gif

But will the other parts of the machine handle the stress being put on it with the bigger tires? It would be hard to judge the stress being put on the front end if it steers so easy. Even though the 700 is modest in the power department.... CV joints, steering shafts, tie rods, and other drive components can be broken with almost any size engine over a 400cc.

Just kind of scares me. I wonder how long the system will last? How long it will be waterproof? How it can be replaced? How expensive? Same with the Rincon tranny. There is no telling how long these new things can last. They are just too new yet.

Woof!! $1500

I guess that isn't too bad considering the price of the machine. Being in a Honda, I would put money on at least 3000 miles before anything goes bad and probably 5000 miles before it needs to be replaced. That is, if you don't get a bad one. I'm sure there is a little more R&D into that tranny than there is into the small PS part for the Griz.

I'm not too worried about the rincon transmission. Sometimes they may need the o-rings replaced which might get a little costly. On a different site I frequent there's a few people with 10-15K and no tranny problems. Not to say it won't happen but I doubt, with regular maintenance, it happens that often. When I bought mine out in Nebraska the dealer told me of a rincon he sold with over 20k and no major repairs. The ranchers out that way use atvs a lot everyday. He showed me a rubicon with over 40K on it. It wasn't pretty looking but I was impressed. I look at this way if they designed them for 1800cc's of torque and power, 680cc shouldn't be anything for them. I'm sure glad they never put them in the goldwing.

Yeah, the Rincon trans. should last a while. I've been on a few different forums and there are plenty of owners with well over 5000 miles on them without problems. Regular maintenance is key.