• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I went out early this morning(early for me anyway), and took a few shots of these birds from the car. I got home and didn't really like any of them. The little bit of sun there was, was behind them. Also, one was too close to focus on. Actually, if I would have remembered to change a setting on my lens to closer focusing, I would have been OK. It's just something I've never had to do, due to me never being that close to a bird. Anyway, I ran back out there early this evening. If I would have been 5 minutes earlier, the photos would have been much better. The sun went behind a cloud bank just as I was getting to the area. The lighting would have been perfect. As it is, they didn't turn out bad, but I would have liked to see a nice catchlight in the eyes.

2391475126_ac3d09a626_o.jpg

2390648541_df089088bc_o.jpg

2391483592_2429f3df28_o.jpg

2390656565_61060fc072_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: buzzsaw
Flash fill those black birds next time bud... I was out today chasing around some Turkeys, Bluebirds and RR blackbirds and flash was very much needed.

As soon as I saw that you had replied, I knew exactly what the reply was going to be. ;\) However, my on camera flash doesn't have that kind of range. grin.gif I also don't feel like dropping hundreds of dollars on a Canon flash and Better Beamer.

How's this for fill flash?

2392523997_f6be5179d7_o.jpg

yeah on camera flash is not gonna do it. I think in time it will be a valuable tool to add to your arsenal. Sometimes you can find good "used" deals too on flashes. Keep up the good work sir!

Hey Mike, if you had one rwbb within the long range of close focus on the 100-400, that had to be inside 20 feet, and the popup flash on the 30D will actually give you some help out to about that distance.

Worth a try until you get an onboard unit. Even Canon's smaller flash series, the 420/430, will give you help without a better beamer out to at least 50 feet. That's about how far my 430EX is good for.

Here's also a tip you may want to try. The difference it time it takes to acquire focus with that lens based on your focus-distance limiter switch is miniscule. Mine always stays on the close focus setting because I just never know what's going to happen next. If I've got a BIF or something else somewhat distant in tricky lighting/focus conditions I can easily pop it back to the other setting.