• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha tiller issues

I know we have had this discussion before but i"m hoping there are some new ideas out there.Any way I have a newer 90hp tiller and have some complaints about the pivot or locking mechanism for the tiller handle . The little tensioning slide lever that Yamaha has to hold the tiller handle centered for trailering is a bit cheeey (in my opinion) .Those of you out there with this motor know what I'm talking about. How do others deal with this problem ? It is a real pain to have to (with a wrench )tighten and loosen this bolt every time you launch and load the boat. I prefer to have the motor in the straight position rather than cocked off to the side when trailering. The motor just seems to ride better in this position and sits better in the transom saver. Is there an OEM or after market fix for this issue ?

If you tighten the tensioner bolt down far enough to have any effect on keeping the motor upright when on the trailer, then it's too tight when you're out on the water. I like having the ability to loosen or tighten the steering at times while out on the water. When it's snugged down too far you lose all adjustment and you cannot loosen the tensioner enough with the lever to allow the engine to turn without some effort. Maybe the 90 is heavier and works different than the 75, dunno.

Figured I'd ask since we're talking about this tensioner.....does either of your engines rattle a lot in this area? On each end of the tensioner slide there are a couple of metal bushings between the bolts that hold the slide in place and the bracket and they rattle and vibrate like crazy. I've put some rubber washers inbetween the bushing and the bolt and that has cured the problem, except that I have to replace them a couple times a year since they eventually squish out. As the motor is trimmed up and down there is more or less gap inbetween that bushing and bolt. I'm assuming that's why they left some play in there. I'm still looking for an alternative solution.

Have you guys looked at the titan aftermarket no-feedback steering system? It sounds like it would take care of your problems and make it easier to make longer runs on a windy day.

Bigwalleye58,

We also have a newer 90hp Yamaha tiller that never stays straight. The transom saver helps keep it straight for a while, but it always manages to turn completely sideways. Any other suggestions out there?

I have done so . The dealer was no help and the customer service people said that there has been no complaints on this issue , which I don't necessarily believe . They more or less blew me off saying they don't know what to do about it . Needless no say I'm not impressed with the Yamaha people. Without wasting a bunch of time and talking badly about any brand or dealer,I have had other issues with this motor and have been extremely frustrated at every turn , from the dealer to the manufacturer.

Well I think if you have become so frustarted with this situation, it may be time to sell the motor and try a new manufacturer out. There is no sense in spending the amount of money you did and not being satisfied with your product. I guess on the bright side, you could chalk it up as a lesson learned and now you know to stay away from their products. I know it is a hassle to sell and re-purchase, but once it is done, will it be worth it to you? Just my 2 cents

GE

The problem is, the Yamaha tiller system is one of the better ones out there. When the engine itself is trouble-free I guess the smaller things are what come to light. I'd rather have this little issue than something major with the engine/gearcase, which has been great for me and many others. I'd rather put up with this minor inconvenience than deal with a larger problem you may find on another brand. Problems can arise with any color engine, but I really haven't heard of many with the newer Yamaha 4-strokes to make me go elsewhere. I had a 60 Merc 2-stroke and that thing was fantastic too, but this time I was going with the 4 and knew the reputation of the gray engines.

I have an 2004 75hp yammy tiller and noticed the same thing w/ the tensioner and the motor sliding to the side. I have been clamping 2 spring loaded padded wood clamps on each side and it seems to help unless going on a really bumpy ride. Otherwise a couple vice grips w/ pads on both sides might lock it in place as well?

redhooks

I would like to thank most of you for you comments . I was hoping someone with intimate knowledge ( maybe a Yamaha tech) would see this and shed some light ?? Stiffrod ,I too found that the motor seems to ride OK cocked to the side but my wave wackers are taking the paint off of the motor when it is in that position. Thanks anyway

I am very impressed with the "motor" itself. The RPM adjust tiller handle is amazing for trolling down. Not to mention it is a reliable motor. However, it just rubs me the wrong way that it won't stay straight when you trailer it down the road.

I have a '03 F60 Yamaha.

I have had the same problem with my locking tiller lever.

I took the grease zerks out and replaced them with some small bolts and tightened accordingly.

I keep a small wrench in the boat to tighten or loosen when needed.

I think this problem was taken care of on the newer models, '06 or newer.

It is a poor design, but the rest of the motor I have had zero problems with.

I'm not sure what you mean by using a wrench, every time you use it. You should be able to set your lever to tightest setting, then tighten the nut up,put tools down, set to lightest setting and still be able to turn the engine nice and freely. Thats how it's designed, lighter for using and crank lever to the side,for trailering. If you can't get both of these to your satisfaction, then there are worn parts, such as the friction pads, or there may be grease on the half moon piece.I am a Yamaha Certified Tech,and have worked on plenty of these engines,and you should be able to get both both positions with just a turn of the lever.

I've tried with mine, which was brand new last year, to find the happy medium but could never get it where I wanted it. If I tightened the nut to increase the effect the tensioner had it wouldn't turn freely enough when out fishing and there was always drag in the steering even with the tensioner in the "free" position. If I loosened the nut just enough so that it was free then it wouldn't get tight enough to hold the motor when traveling. I also found that it really doesn't take much of an adjustment on the nut to go one way or another, so there isn't a lot of working room to get to that "perfect" spot that works in all conditions. I've also addressed the potential for grease on the bar/half moon piece and pads as I thought this may be part of the problem as well but it didn't help.

tlbigstump - Since you are a certified tech and we have your ear, what is the cure for the rattling where the half moon piece is attached on each side of the engine? Apparently as the engine is trimmed up and down there is a need for some clearance between the bushings to make up for the movement, and this is the source of very annoying rattling when at idle. I've tried inserting some rubber donuts/washers to silence the problem and that has worked, but since this is a pivot point they eventually wear out. I haven't found anything yet that will help dampen the noise so I just keep putting in these rubber pieces until I do. Any suggestions?

Is it just the brand or are other brands experiencing similar issues ?? At the risk of getting repetative , it is just so frustrating to have to deal with this problem . For what a person spends on a new motor you would expect a better set up ?????? !

My 06 75hp yamaha tiller is also doing the same thing and the rubber from the splash guards is also rubbing the paint off one side of the motor. Its a pain, but I always tilt it to the side of my rear livewell since the top of it always likes to open up when going down the road and I don't want it tearing off on me. Then I would have to replace the livewell top. Great motor though, I wouldn't buy anything else.