• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our Gogebic Experience

We returned earlier this evening from our 3.5 day trip to Lake Gogebic. The drive home was a 5 hour white knuckle trek as the snow and ice was somthing.

This was our first trip to this area so we did not know what to really expect.

The trip was absolutely second to none. This was truely much more than an ice fishing get away. The U.P experience we had will definately bring us back. The setting, the people, the wildlife, the fishing, the snowmobiling all were fantastic.

We arrived at Fishtales Thursday night and got settled into our cabin. Friday morning we spent a couple of hours collecting bait, information, etc.

The perch bite had been tough so being newbies on such a big lake could be a bit overwhelming.

Perchking was very helpful in our planning and preparations. This helped give us a level of confidence.

Another helpful tool was the Navionics North 2008 chip as Gogebic is now included. We were able to locate the structures and flats with ease.

Our goal was to try to catch big perch over numbers. We decided to start in an area that has historically produced big fish but had not this year yet.

This is when it gets good. We had not been fishing 15 minutes when my 17 year old son comes out of the X2 yelling "look at this perch". I could not believe my eyes. He had a 2# 1oz fish.

What are the chances a 17 year old would join the 2 pound club in the first 15 minutes of fishing. If we had not caught another fish it wouldn't have mattered. The look on his face was priceless. I followed with a 1# 13oz pig. We caught several more perch over a pound. It was a magical day.

Saturday was the day the "Hog-A-Thon" perch tournament was being held. There was 218 entrants. We went back out to the same area.

The bite was much tougher and the fish were much less aggressive. What chance would a couple of Minnesotans that have never fished the lake have? Well our run of good fortune continued as I took 4th place with a 1# 14.3oz and my son Jayme took 5th place with a 1# 13.7oz. These fish we absolute sows.

I still cannot believe what happened here. It definately is better to be lucky than good somtimes.

Some of the locals were shaking their heads.

We came home with memories that cannot be duplicated. I am having my sons 2 big fish mounted so he will have a permanent reminder of this experience. I am doing the same with my 2 biggest.

If you Google Maple Ridge Motel Gogebic you can see some pictures. Look under 2008 Hog-A-Thon and also under photos. (Bruce and Jayme Schreiber) Pretty cool!!

Information gathered from this site made this all happen.

Thank you Perchking for pointing us in the right direction.

We will be back.

Bruce,

I am so glad you had a good time. Those fish are awesome, I am pumped you got into some. I just got back from the Florida Keys but I have to admit, my mind was on the Tourney all weekend, as I was getting calls from Brandon who gave me updates and he ended up winning it. Otter and Hawkeye the 1st place and the 3rd place guys are my buds who you fished with while you were up. I just talked to Gus and he told me there is still about 25 inches of good ice. I cannot wait until this weekend.

I think people think I am crazy to think there are 3lb perch in that lake but when you look at the average size I predict within the next couple of years you will see one come out of there.

PERCHKING

Now thats sweet Bruce,

Congratulation to your son and you. I said it before once you been there, You will never forget Gogebic. Alot of people thought We were blowing smoke about our trip, but until you fish it you just don"t know what you missed. Their lose.

Please tell your buddys Congratulations pearchking, they earned it. I just can't see getting back this year, banquet this weekend and field work as soon as the ground dries up. I will be back next year though. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about that lake. God am I hooked.

Later hawkeye43

I could just as well book a room for next years hog-a-thon.

Probably a little of both...

Like I said in the report that was typed awhile back; "best trip ever, ice or open water". The scenery, the people, the fishing and everything else that encompasses the experience is second to none.