• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Quest 1

Moose's post sent me down the lake to see if I could find the eagles nest he was referring to. Photos are for story purposes only.

This is nest #1, the one I posted before. Two eagles in that area today, and upon closer inspection, I think I can see new construction. Good news!

EQ1.jpg

This is the nest about a mile southwest of the beach. Obviously abandoned. I had seen this one in use two summers ago. No Idea what happened to it.

EQ2.jpg

On my way down the lake towards Birch point, saw three eagles soaring over the north shoreline. Tried to get some shots, just for context. Two were adults, one a juvenile.

EQ3.jpg

EQ4.jpg

Found Moose's nest pretty easily. Typical white pine with lots of perches around.

EQ5.jpg

And one more eagle on the way back - a juvenile.

EQ6.jpg

Altogether saw two adults and three juveniles today. Not a bad count for this neck of the woods!

The wind made it colder than frost on the lake, but with two active eagle nests within paddling distance, the trip warmed me up some. Should be able to get some good shots this spring and summer.

Gonna be a challenge to get clear ones with all that tree cover on the living white pine, but I think the one in the dead tree should offer some nice images.

Of course, once you buy the 600 you could zero right in on the gap between the needles and nail some tight shots in there. grin.gifgrin.gif

Originally Posted By: dukhnt
Nice shots. Eagles never get old. There is a nest by my new place and I see the eagles fly by almost every day.

I agree. Eagles are always cool to see. I know just where that nest is also. I haven't tried to get close though for fear of scaring them away from their nesting site.

Great pictures! Keep track of that one! I'm keeping track of my nest...nothing much has changed for the last couple of days, still sitting on the eggs. Still waiting..:)

Keep track of it. The action will pick up as soon they hatch! Lots of feeding to the offspring!

MD,

the eagles have been busy out at Bucks Lake Lately. I drove out there the other day to find 2 adults and 2 juveniles. One of the juvie's had an interesting spotted pattern on the chest. Very cool. They were across the lake from the "wide area" in the road.

I saw several rooster pheasants in the fields up in Sand Prairie that same day.

I could never get sick of seeing photos of Raptors.

Paddling? Today I took my 4-wheeler down the ice to look at nests! I stopped and talked to one guy who was fishing and asked him how much ice? Over 35 inches! The pick-ups were whizzin' by me! No paddling for awhile yet. When soft water does come, though, I will be paddling!

This was taken today from the rock under Moose's eagles nest:

EQ7.jpg

Lep7mm,

That's what I heard! Tempted to go this morning to check it out. But hey, it's SUNDAY, and my time to spend time with the family at my house in Janesville. \:\) It's 50 miles from home to work! And driving 104 miles a day for 9 years can do weird things to your mind! grin.gif I think I'll just stay home today.

Besides, tommorow morning I'll be swinging by Buck's lake and see what's happening.

As soon the Ice breaks..man, that's when things will really pick up! Be ready for that!

I heard it's supposed to snow 6 inches tommorow... eek.gifmad.gif NOOOOOOOO!!! mad.gifmad.gifcry.gif Just when I enjoyed being outside raking the leaves!

I know what you mean Marc. They'll be working the water pretty hard once she opens up. I don't think we're too far away.

There was also a flock of Mergansers on the river just as you go under the railroad tressel on 93 by Le Sueur.

Seeing everyone's posts about old barns and eagles got me out of the house the day I saw the eagles and found a couple nice looking "rustic" barns.

Keep them coming guys.

Ken,

That's the one. Good to see I didn't get you too lost. Guys heres the rock Ken was talking about. I love the Range even the rocks are photogenic. I was going to use this for the tree post but I couldn't get it quite right on PP this is the best I could do.

2378318629_da12ec9841_o.jpg