• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Here are the stories:

The Canvasback was the first one I had ever harvested and I got it during the season where they had just been opened to hunting again after a long period of closed seasons. I can't rcall what timeframe that was, I am thinking late 80's or early 90's. I did not start duck hunting until the early 80's.

The pheasant was harvested a few years ago on a trip to ND. We had hunted some low areas in a picked soybean field and we were headed out of the field. When we hunt ND, we usually put slings on our guns for the long walks or standing in a swamp. Well, we were about 100 yards from the truck and we were approaching an area of mowed cattails. Not a speck of real cover for 100+ yards. As a joke, I told my brothers to get ready....this type of cover holds birds. I had my gun on the sling over my shoulder. Needless to say, a rooster (the one on the wall) came bustin' out of the mowed cattail stubble within 10 seconds of my comment. My youngest brother did not have his gun slung over his shoulder and he got off 3 quick (and easy) shots..... clean misses. I struggled to get the sling off my shoulder and then the gun to my shoulder. I finally did and the bird was 50+ yards out by this time. I decided I would try one shot and see what happened. It folded hard and hit the ground like a stone. Upon inspection, a single pellet to the head. Just like I planned! whistle.gif Sarcastic comments are common among our hunting party (to my dad's dismay), but the fact that my sarcastic comment and incredibly lucky shot produced this pheasant. It had to go on the wall.

All my work is done in Spicer. Mount is a copy of a Wildfowl mag cover shot. Got a picture of a fantastic URL crappie mount he did on the panfish forum.

Here is a couple of pictures of the mount I just recently got back from the taxidermist. With any luck this fall, I'm hoping for a return trip and another taxidermist bill. Out of all the bills I have, this is the only one I enjoy! I would love to get a nice mature bill mount similar to TRM's. That's simply awesome.

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg