• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Fling - GTG

Since I've never river fished ( besides a few cast from the shore last year) I'm going to defer to you guyd for some info.

What will we be fishing for?

What kind of bait?

Where on the river do yo think is a good spot?

Originally Posted By: reelemin
Since I've never river fished ( besides a few cast from the shore last year) I'm going to defer to you guyd for some info.

What will we be fishing for?

What kind of bait?

Where on the river do yo think is a good spot?

If last night is any indication, you'll be fishing for BIG walters. I didn't fish, but I stopped at the confluence for a while watching and talking to a few folks that were fishing. About a dozen boats at the confluence, with many more up both sides of the Mississippi.

Most guys were vertical jigging minnows. Boat control is important, but I almost think it would be easier in a canoe. Not as much boat to maneuver.

As far as a starting spot, the confluence seems like a good choice. I wouldn't want to fight with the boats and especially the current up by the dam. Once the water comes up, out in front of Minnehaha Creek can be quite productive, too.

I put in at Fort Snelling State Park. They do check vehicles, so you need to make sure you have a park sticker. Unfortunately, you'll still be paddling upstream to get back to the landing, but the current isn't nearly as strong in the Minnesota. If I get out of work at a decent time tonight, I'll put in at Fort Snelling and take the back channel behind the island to the Miss. That way, I can fish my way down to the confluence. There are a lot of good spots along the way.

With you using a kayak, I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble with the current. Easter Sunday I did 2 loops around the island, and on the second, as I came out of the channel onto the Minn., there was a kayaker a hundred or so yards downstream and he didn't have much trouble catching me at the landing. I was on a training run that day, so I was going pretty darn hard. He just went a little quicker. blush.gif

It all depends on the weather. If the rivers aren't blown out, I'll be up by Washburn chasing Steelhead. If they are, then I'll be down here joining you guys.

And just to set the record straight, I'm no river fishing expert. I just do a lot of observing while I'm down there. It seems like guys are willing to talk about spots more when you drift by in a canoe with no fishing equipment, too.

With that being said, I think we can get into some pretty nice fish.

Head count for the 1st unoffical no motor spring fling GTG

* Sat. April 5th

* 9:00 a.m.

* Ft.Snelling - The ramp on the MN river ( on the island, MN river side )

* Canoes and Kayaks

* fishing

Reelemin - yes

Quetico - yes

Flatlander - maybe

Who else is in ???

They were there this past weekend. If not, you can still get a sticker. I was going down after work last spring, which was also after they were done working. Got back to the truck one night to find a ticket on my windshield. Apparantly the ticket hander-outers work later. The options were to stick 5 bucks for a day pass along with the ticket in the pay box, 25 bucks and ticket for a year long pass or they'd hit you with a fine in the mail for doing nothing. I chose option B and received my year pass about 10 days later.

UPDATED

Head count for the 1st unoffical no motor spring fling GTG

* Sat. April 5th

* 9:00 a.m.

* Ft.Snelling - The ramp on the MN river ( on the island, MN river side )

* Canoes and Kayaks

* fishing

Reelemin - yes

Quetico - yes

Flatlander - maybe

Who else is in ???

It sounds like its going to be a great day to be on the water!!

Sounds like fun but it's my oldest girl's birthday party this weekend. I was on the river for the first time last spring & it's one of my goals to learn to fish it one of these years.

Have fun...sounds like it's going to be a fantastic day out. I'll think of y'all while I'm cleaning the basement & putting in the earplugs to drown out the sounds of eight wild first-grade girls...

Glad I checked in to see that we have a few paddle fishing activities starting to pop up. I will be in Rochester for Fire Dept. training but otherwise I would love to meet up on this. I think I may need to check this spot out the next weekend sounds like a winner.

sounds good guys. have fun with your activities this weekend.

I live close to Ft.Snelling and with gas prices the way they are, I mat doing the river thing a far about this year. It would definitly be fun to connect up with fellow FM paddlers.

Add me to the head count for this Sat morning.

I have a kayak (aka the plastic lab) that I use for duck hunting. I haven't done any fishing from it but it should be fun to try. Looking forward to meeting some FM'ers and trying some river fishing.

Huey

Ps Do we need to bait? Nightcrwalers maybe? I could get stop by Joe's tomorrow.

Tami...

Have a good time down there, and be safe, the water's still a tad chilly.

I'm still working on getting permission to buy a solo canoe, and when I do I'll be in on the next GTG.

Thought about joining Quetico, but I pinched a nerve in my upper back this week. It's not ready for paddlin yet. I tested it out by doing some mock paddlin with a paddle in the family room last night while watching the Wild, then the Mrs came down. She looked at me, shook her head, and went back up stairs. \:\)

Good luck fishing and post a little report on how things went.