• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Floro leaders

sure they get cut but thats rare. most of the time if an 80 lb fluoro leader is cut it's a result of the fishing style of the fisherman. if you horse them 130 is better. if you are like me and want to play them a little bit, of course not till their belly up, 80 is cool. personally i fish with 60 lb leaders i make myself, i just think i get better action with it. i only use fluoro about 30 percent of the time, when using a leader. just when conditions call for it.. i.e. sunny days when the sun is high, clear water, just not getting any and need a change, or for following fish to see if it will get em to strike (i refuse to figure 8). otherwise i stick to solid titanium and sevenstrands. but fluoro holds/stands up just fine, IMHO.

I used one last year and on the second fish I had the snap straighten out on me (I can't remember the brand but it was a 2-pack from Cabela's). Lost a nice fish and a good lure. I won't swear off using a floro leader again, but I would probably make my own to ensure the quality of the other components.

Thorne Brothers makes some nice flouro leaders, I've used them in both the 80 and 130 lb and have not had an issue. Good stuff!

I am going to buy the terminal tackle, few spools of Seguar flouro, and start making my own this year. The right crimpers make all the difference....few bucks up front will pay for itself in the long haul. Check out the saltwater catalogs for the right crimpers.

mabe you know mabe ya don't but thornes got a couple crimps for mono/fluoro leaders too. all the sleeves too, in single and double. just a thought. or is there something out there you did'nt see there? besides bench top of course.

Yep, Thorne has the goods. I was going back to an older post where RK commented on the cupped crimpers from a saltwater catalog. Better off to do it right the first time......kinda like a Knipex as a hook cutter.

Here's the older post....

Crimpers

bud. i bought some of those leaders also, but mainly to use for bass fishing where there are northerns too. what i've learned from the guys here; that can be the difference between good quality , and a cheaper one.i sometimes do change the snaps, but also just replace it with a split ring.( another tip i learned from here! grin.gif especially around weeds)if i'm after northern or muskie, i step up to the 130# from thorne bros.i do use steel most times,but sometimes feel the flouro is a better choice. del

Floro is all I use. I have been making my own for some time. Just some Seaguar(s/p?) 130lb floro, Mason daul barrel crimps a good pair of Hi-Seas crimpers and NO SPLIT RINGS. Use solid steel rings when in direct contact of the floro then put your snap on one end and tie to the other. Split rings have a nast habit of the "split" wearing on the floro.

\:o don't forget the quality ballbearing swivel with solid rings on each end if your gonna fish bucktails or other baits that tend to twist line. even twisted up braided line's test is reduced when twisted, 'specially at the knot. one word. spro, spro, spro. grin.gif i have some baits where i just crimp it right to the bait. no ring no snap. just leader and swivel.

Well said.....

I'll sound like a Mastercard commercial for a minute.

Thousands upon thousands in boats, motors trucks, etc.

$25 lures and we don't bat an eye at the price.

An extra buck or two on the link between you and the fish....priceless.

I've had the heartbreak too many times of failures with terminal tackle. I wouldn't wish that let down on anyone.....

Make sure your points of connection are soild!

Hey weeds,

A uni to uni knot will work better than a nail knot, below is a link to a "how to" for the knot.

Not sure I'd want to go direct with braid to flouro, in the light weights flouro will tie knots OK, but not in the heavier LB test lines. A barrel swivel will help avoid a lot of line issues, using a crimped sleeve on the flouro end. Flouro is succebtible to knicks and cuts, and I've not tried braid to flouro directly, but the braid may cut into the flouro side of the knot. Any input from others?

Avoid twists and weak spots and use a solid ring on a swivel. Same with a solid ring on the lure end.

Uni to Uni

i use crimps for leaders so never tried it but i see no reason a nail wouldnt work good. with the third line wrapped it may not push them together as to cut the fluoro. but who knows. in my test the uni uni was better for mono to braid but they were crude tests. a uni to uni may work better if it had a triple or even quad wrap with the fluoro and the same with the braid. probly create more holding space so not easily cut. but the albright knot would be ok too. just wet it good and see what happens. plenty of time to practice yet. so take your time but really a spro POWER swivel works good. real small for 100 lb test swivels.

I will NOT use anything less than #130 Seaguar Fluoro... and I make them myself... Its not too hard... Just go to Thorne Bros and they'll help you out with getting everything you need for making your own leaders...

What I do is : I measure the fluoro out to 14"... take one end... thread it in and out of the double barrel crimp... pull the tag line out about 2 inches... then I take a lighter to burn the tip of the tag line to make a ball... it takes less than 10 seconds for it to set and cool... once thats done... I then pull the "ball" down to the crimp... and pull other end out to make the loop smaller... then I crimp it down with a proper crimping tool... The one I have has measurement below the cup for specific crimp size... Normally I make sure I crimp about 1/16th before the crimp end... so that when its properly crimped... the end will flare like a bell or a trumpet end... compressing the fluoro... then I put in a Stay-Lok snap on... If you dont want to use snap... but a solid ring or split ring, I would thread the fluoro into one barrel, put on the ring then thread the fluoro out other barrel... then crimp... Same idea for putting on swivel... I take a lighter to both end of the tag line before crimping... some says its not necessary... but for me... I like the extra security...

don't ya just miss being a rookie sometimes reb? ... yeah, me niether \:D . really guys this kind of stuff is gravy to make. and at 7 bucks or more a leader retail, you save money fast. the snap and swivel can be reused a few times most times so even that's 3 for one. it may sound daunting but it's really gravy train. then you get to decide what's best for you, not the available supply. nice post Reb

Thanks Bigfish... TRUST me... Im still a rookie!!! I've learned plenty... I've done things myself more than few times to know what works and what doesnt... I've studied products over and over myself...

You just have to think about it then DO it... rather than think about it and dont do anything... Get out there... if theres something you want to do or make... go to stores, look through your tackle box, look thru your friends' tacklebox... study it... and DO IT!!!

Theres also MORE people whos willing to give advices/pointers for anything you want to do when it comes to fishing...

Thank cjac,

I also use uni to uni in the lighter weights (this is my first serious venture into the bigger toothy critters) . I love that knot. I used to try blood knots and found 'em harder to tie in the wind, etc. Besides, the uni works nice for puttin' together different line diamaters IMO. But I had my suspicions about being able to tie a uni in the larger weights with floro. I swear I saw someone on a T.V. show tie an overhand knot in the heavy floro and then a uni in the braid and say it will hold. Anyway, looks like i'll get some material learn about the sleeves. Besides, it's a good excuse to go oggle all the shiny stuff at Thorne Bros.