• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolloing Motor Batteries

TN Rick

Question

I thought I might get some 'real life' advise here.

I currently have a Minnkota trolling motor (12 volt) and am using two deep cycle batteries connected in parallel (12 volt output). They are getting a little tired and I am considering replacing them before the season kicks off. We are going to be at Birch Point the last week of June and fishing 14 hour days can put a major drain on a trolling motor battery! Most of myfishing is in the mid south with warm summers. The boat is seldom used during the winter.

What I would like to know, is what experience and advise can be offered regarding GEL batteries and AGM batteries.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I bought some Exide AGMs from Cabelas in 2000 and I am just replaced them with Cabelas AGMs. 8 seasons on a 24 volt system. No worry with checking the water, venting when charging, etc. I would recommend them.

I've researched the internet and will purchase one of these batteries for sure. I understand the difference between the GEL and the AGM construction but am unclear which is really the better battery for a trolloing motor. Both seem good.

I have found that some people use AGM and GEL interchangably . . . even though they are different batteries.

Hate to be the odd duck here, but the yellow deep cycle batteries form Wal-fart have been goo to me for years now. Anout 4 years on the one. I will add, I use them both during the winter months for lite in my porty. After one use ice fishing, I swap it out for the charged one.

During the summer, one last me all night trolling during cat fishing..

I tell you what I use the Walmart ones too I have a ranger 620 with 24 volt system and when we prefish for our walleye tournaments and put in 12 or 13 hour days and still have juice at the end of the day. plus when you go a few days in a row it charges great overnight and can do it multiple days in a row. Another is it doesn't cost an arm and a leg which I like!

hhguide,

I will go one further (for the F.M.er), I let one of my batteries go for like a year and half, with freezing and no charging. It worked all last open water season and this winter season with no concerns.

I just went out and checked it is an Ever Start Maxx Marine. I bought a back one last season for a back-up cat fishing, but have swapped between both almost the last year and into this winter.

I will be buying another when the time comes.

I will also add, for the Wal-fart snowmobile battery. Mine had not been charged for a year, I brought it in and thawed, recharged an used it a couple of time this season with no concern. I have not had this experience in the past with Wall-fart batteries, but I figure last year they improved their batteries ten fold..

I've had my ups and down with the yellow everstart from walmart. Bought one for my sis's car, it died 3months later. brought it back and got another one under warranty, and work till this. Me and my bro has one each for our trucks and work till this day also. Bought one for my boat starting battery, it died in 1 month. Brought it back to exchange for another one, still working, we'll see how it goes this season. I'm thinking about getting 3 everstart for my 36v minnkota 101. I can't decide yet as of now. Spending upwards of $500-$600 for the other brands are just too risky.

How are those yellow Walmart batteries as far as leaking acid. I bought a cheap fleet farm trolling motor battery one year and had a lot of issues with acid all over my boat and jeans. I swore I would only buy expensive sealed batteries after that but now I am having issues with the AGM batteries......

I got tired of lack of power at the end of the day under windy conditions. I made it easy on myself and skipped the research and simply went to Gander Mountain and bought the most expensive batteries they had..(Trojan 31). Very satisfied and will do the same next time. I now use about 30% power in a full day, versus 90% in the past.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I do believe you get what you pay for in this situation.

Originally Posted By: MuskieJunkie
How are those yellow Walmart batteries as far as leaking acid. I bought a cheap fleet farm trolling motor battery one year and had a lot of issues with acid all over my boat and jeans. I swore I would only buy expensive sealed batteries after that but now I am having issues with the AGM batteries......

I have put mine threw some tough situations (winter and summer) and they have not leaked as of yet. I was skeppy on the Yellow Wal-fart brand, but had to buy my first one in a pinch up in Brainerd. I liked it so much after a year; I bought a back up second which I switch back and forth from.

For starting, I have good luck with Exide.

I completely froze two yellow walmart batteries this winter. They were bulged out about 1.5 inches all around. I thawed them and charged them and they are working like new. Pretty tough. I use them in the fish house in winter and the 24 volt trolling motors in the boat in summer. They are mounted in the bow and take a heck of a beating in the rough mill lacs waves and I have yet to have any acid leak out. I have been contemplating getting the cabelas AGMs when these are in need of replacing. I just can't justify the added cost for what may not last any longer and has a lower capacity.

Originally Posted By: eyebjim
I completely froze two yellow walmart batteries this winter. They were bulged out about 1.5 inches all around. I thawed them and charged them and they are working like new. Pretty tough.

Me too :D.

That wass two years ago and it work like new. I am not one to buy cheap, but these batteries have sold me to going back when they do die. I do like using them in the winter. I use one in my porty for the light set up I have. Right when I get home from fishing, I pull the used one out and replace it with the charged one, threw the used on on the charger and I am ready to go. This year ound use might be the key also..

I agree it is better to keep them in use if possible or use a on board charger that has the maintenance feature that keeps it topped off and leave it plugged in all winter.

I have used this brand since 2000 and I'm on my 3rd set(24volt) only because I froze the second set and din't bother to try to bring them around. I just assumed they were junk and replaced them for opener. I guess I didn't want any potential issues on opener. Come to think of it I put them im my motor home and they are still in it.

Here's a new one guys. I was at Cabela's a few days ago to buy a new rod and reel. Wandered over to the batteries cuz I'll be buying 3 soon before the season starts. Looked at the agm's and optima's. The guy working there said the AGM's are the same as the Optima's, what he means is both brands are made with "absorbed glass mat". I thought Optima's were "gel cel". Confused me.

So are AMG's absorbed glass mat(says right on the battery) the same as Optima's gel cel? Another words, is Optima's gel cel an absorbed glass mat but Optima just calls it gel cel.....or.....Is AGM's absorbed glass mat a gel cel and AGM just calls them absorbed glass mat?

I don't know if Optima's are AGMs. They say they use spiral technology. They definitely are shaped differently. The one thing I noticed when I bought a new pair of the Cabela's AGMs are that the 24s have close to the same reserve as the 27s but weigh less. I went with the 24s.

Did some googling and found the answer. Here's a paste:

AGM: The Absorbed Glass Matt construction allows the electrolyte to be suspended in close proximity with the plates active material. In theory, this enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency. Actually, the AGM batteries are a variant of Sealed VRLA batteries. Popular usage high performance engine starting, power sports, deep cycle, solar and storage battery. The AGM batteries we sell are typically good deep cycle batteries and they deliver best life performance if recharged before the battery drops below the 50 percent discharge rate. If these AGM batteries are discharged to a rate of 100 percent the cycle life will be 300 plus cycles and this is true of most AGM batteries rated as deep cycle batteries.

GEL: The gel cell is similar to the AGM style because the electrolyte is suspended, but different because technically the AGM battery is still considered to be a wet cell. The electrolyte in a GEL cell has a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen. The recharge voltages on this type of cell are lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. Gel Batteries are best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain.