• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low-profile reels

cjac

Hi all,

I've been shopping around for another reel to use for pike in particular and bass as well.

Best deal and reel I've found is the Shinamo Citica, it's essentially the old Curado B200 Super-Free which was around $160, but with an upgraded drag and gears. Shimano is a gear company first and foremost, so their reels hold up. The old green Curados are one of the most tested, tried and true reels our there. Shimano has a rebate offer that takes the reel under $100!

Plus, some of the bigger retailers ofer a Citica/rod combo that puts you into a a great combo with a 7' med or med/heavy rod for under $150 after rebate.

Take a look and you'll find a great pike combo at a great deal!

yup, yup, Shimano all the way. nice to know theres somebody else who has seen the light and aint blinded by it. only wish they had a certified repair shop near by. sending them to Cali. every year get's kinda old. but then again it's fun at the same time cause it's like the reel Gods sent me a new reel. \:D

Cjac,

With the Citica, I would be carefull if you plan to throw big baits a lot, or at all. I have one of the older ones, that I messed up throwing big baits. Fortunately it was repairable and I can still use it, but I was bummed at the time. I would say if you are throwing baits bigger than 3/4 oz, to switch over to a round style reel. Would hate to see someone else go through the torment of thinking they blew the guts out of the reel like I did. Anything under 3/4 oz should be okay with it though.

By the way, I fixed it myself and after figuring out how easy it is to clean and lube reels on my own, I will be doing that from now on. The first time I attempted it, I was able to completely disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble 7 reels in three hours.

I tried the low pro trick for awhile and never did find a reel that worked well. I do have a box labeled "low-pros" that is full of reels with the drags burnt out, gears messed up or line winders stripped.

The reel may be able to handle the bait but can it handle the fish?

I finaly settled with Calcutta 200s and Abu 5600s for the light work.

I'll test drive the Citica and give a report! Keep in mind I'm looking more at metro pike lakes, not the URL scene where a 20lber is a definite possibility.

I'm also looking to pick up the Curado 300DSV, that one will match up to the pike for sure! The main gear in that reel is a beast!

Quote:

lol. i do that with most reels too, but then i got into TE's and TE/DC's and just lost my nerve. those schematics are just daunting. besides ( mabe i'm just rationalizing grin.gif) they might find a bent shaft i'd miss or something eek.gif

I'll test drive the Citica and give a report! Keep in mind I'm looking more at metro pike lakes, not the URL scene where a 20lber is a definite possibility.

Cjac, better stay off Tonka then. There are 20lbers out there. They love big spinnerbaits in the chartruese color if you want to go tangle with them. Spring shallow or fall deep is best and they are not on musky spots either.

I'll bring the big guns to 'tonka for sure! I was looking at it more as a set-up for when I take the nephews out on a good little pike water for some fun times!

Yep, 'tonka has some bruisers in there, some of the nicest markings too. They seem to like my suicks!

Yeah, it is about 8 years old, and I too think the new one is much improved. I am just in the mindset that I don't want to throw big baits on a low pro reel. I have some bigger round reels that fit the bill nicely, so no need to attempt to wreck a low pro.

Originally Posted By: Craig Plummer
What "Wrecks" a baitcaster?

Would you pull a 20 foot boat with a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger? You need a reel that can handle the load. Technically the reel isn't wrecked, as you can easily replace the parts (most likely the gearing will go).

Well, I just ordered my Curado 300DSV, if Dahlberg can't break 'em in Central America on the Golden Dorados, I should be OK with it up here!

Nice reel, can't wait to try it out.