• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris 4 wheel drive question

dodge guy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just happened to look at the ATV forum since I am spent on the fishing forum. I had this same problem on my 02 Sportsman. It turned out that the "switch" in the shifter had gotten wet, and then it sat for a while. It either corroded the switch or flat out ruined it. I brought it to the dealer and they were able to replace the switch. I am not sure if the 1996 ATVs have the newer style shifter, or a shifter setup like my 92 350L. I will have my wheeler out and take a closer look at it tomorrow. I don't know if that helps you, but last spring was almost a bust for me due to this issue.

I have seen some people with the same problem and they actually used a bungie to the front rack holding the shifter forward. This works, but kinda 'hokey' and inconvenient.

Or just hook a tow strap to the 4WD wheeler that WORKS in front of you and have him "pol" you along! \:D

I think they may be the same shifter. There's a microfiche online that shows each individual part in the shifter to make it easier find the sku and the cost.

Thanks for the input Erikh45.

Welcome to the ATV forums.

Originally Posted By: jltimm

Or just hook a tow strap to the 4WD wheeler that WORKS in front of you and have him "pol" you along! \:D

Awwww, come on.... grin.gif

I really hope I never have to be towed back. You guys would never let it go. whistle.gif

3wd is better than none when I run out of gas.

Hondas normally entertain themselves. It's just nice that they 'keep up', let alone tow something. ;\)

Just joking guys. I'm not starting a bashing contest. It's been a little slow here for posts.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Hondas normally entertain themselves. It's just nice that they 'keep up', let alone tow something. ;\)

I'm not quite as an aggressive rider as I was in the past, but I still say, "I don't mind following anyone, as long as they can keep up".

SKU: 3233223

SWITCH,GEAR SELECTOR *

according to the microfiche, the cost is $85.64. it seems like a lot of coin for a small switch. I would personally look for any ATV salvage yards that might have one cheaper.