• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris 4 wheel drive question

dodge guy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you had this machine since new? Has there been any work done to it lately?

On a Polaris, the 4x4 system doesn't work in reverse unless the reverse override button is pushed. Check to see if maybe it's stuck in?

On my 96 I had, it would come out of reverse if you were to whip a donut. I thought that they said something about shimming something? I know it sounds funny, but this is actually what happened.

D.G. , I have worked on alot of 4x4 Polaris wheelers, never heard of that one happennig. I don't doubt what you say but just for arguments sake, jack the machine up so all 4 wheels are off the ground and run it forward and reverse in 4x4 just to verify that this is actually happening. Again be sure to push the button in while in reverse to engage the 4 wheel drive. If you don't figuire this one out, let us know and we'll try to help more.

it will only work in reverse with the override button pushed in then it will lite up and say it is in 4 wheel and it is but then as soon as you go to put it in forward the light will go off and wont work in forward

The newer Polaris 4wd will only engage going forward when the system senses a slip in the rear wheels. They have to spin less than 1/4 turn and the front axle will engage automatically if the selector is in 4wd. Otherwise the front axle will not engage. It will disengage when no slip is detected. I am not sure if an older model has the same system. If it does and is not working the first thing you should try is changing the fluid in the frt hubs. If it needs to be changed you should use the correct Polaris fluid for this. Many people are substituting type "F" automatic transmission fluid and it is working out just fine.

I did a little digging for similar problems as yours.

What I found is that some people are having trouble with wiring in the headlight pod/instrument cluster. There needs to be power going through both your bulb (4x4 indicator) and the speedo for it to work.

Another thing that might be causing it would be a gear indicator switch that isn't actuated when you're in forward.

This is just some of the info that I found after a quick search over the web.

i looked at it today and i have power going to my low/high beam lights but my high beam head light is blowen out do u think that could be a problem if i get a new bulb do u think it will work

and i have power going to the 4 wheel drive switch

yes that can possibly be the cause.

If I remember correctly, you need a totally continuous circuit in your headlight pod for the 4x4 to work. At least that's what the dealer told me when I bought my '00 SP500.

Let us know how it turns out.

It's hard for me to believe that a burned out bulb, whether it be a headlight bulb or a dash indicator bulb, would prevent the 4WD from working. If so, whew, that's some poor design and I don't know anyone who would argue that.

LMITOUT,

I would agree that it is not the best design if a burned out bulb will affect the 4x4 system. But the 4x4 system is tied in with the headlight pod.

Not even Honda would do something like that. They just can't get rid of the drum brakes on some machines. ;\)

Just goes to show that all manufacturers will have their flaws.

Originally Posted By: jltimm
If anyone has ever seen the ball of wires under the headlight pod of polaris, it would make you wonder who thought of that design?

Much different on the newer ones jltimm.

Go to quadovator and order some much needed parts for the Polaris. They are rather cheap. After you install them, you will know how the wiring works.

I will be in the process soon for making a quick video of the Polaris 4wd in action. For the ones who think they know how it works, but don't own one.

i can almost gaurntee the problem is in the shifter box, the switch is not making contact,took mine apart and bent the contact tabs.dont know how long it is going to work? but i do know replacement switch is spendy.was really tough plowing with only 4 wheel drive in reverse.also make sure top cover is tight.i believe they are either torx head or allen type screws.

I think when they told me about shimming something it was shimming the switch? Sounds funny, but that's what I remember them saying. Roofer, are you saying the newer machines have less wires involved? when I saw the ball of wires I couldn't believe it? I mean it is just a ATV, not a car with power windows,doors, ect....

I agree fishy, but still less than the older models.

jltimm, I hear ya. Most of the newer sportsmans even have diagnostics in them with a port. Kind of over-kill if you ask me, but look at the PS in the Griz. Way over board too IMO, but probably still nice.