• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Changed Oil on my new Polaris 700 Twin Today...

I bought it new and it has 16 hours on it. Polaris wants it changed at 20 hours.

I had the Amsoil 0w-40 Power Sports Oil & Polaris oil filter for a bit.

The drail plug was cranked on and was Metric allen head - thought it would be Standard!

The Oil filter was also cranked on and wasn't coming off. It's too small of diameter for the small adjustable band. It wasn't coming off by hand as there was such a small area to grab it with...

The manual said the wrench is available at the dealer - went up and they didn't have one & were [PoorWordUsage] about it. I was frustrated because it was a nusiance thing (something so easy turned into a pain!!)

I went home & pounded a screwdriver into it - barely helped - it just elongated the hole. Finally got it off after another 20 minutes.

Definitely didn't crank the new one too tight......

My Grizzly was the same way. Its tucked in pretty good and I don't think even a screwdriver would get at it. I went out and got one of those strap-wrenches that you put on a rachet and that was the ticket. I don't think they oil the gasket before they put them on at the factory or something because they're stuck good. Either that or the guy on the assembly line who is responsible for putting on the oil filter is someone you don't want to meet in a dark alley. \:o

I haven't had a new truck or atv that wasn't the same way with how tight things are. They must have a huge gorilla in there with big arms putting these things on.

Just FYI, did you drain out all the 2 quarts? Sometimes people don't drain the oil out of the reservoir. Not sure if the 700 is the same as a 500, but the engine only holds 1/2 a quart, I think. The rest is in the reservoir where the dip stick is.

Just fueling the fire here but I alway thought it was common practice not to run synthetic oil in a motor till it is broke in? I supose 16hrs is about broke in?

Originally Posted By: Roofer

Just FYI, did you drain out all the 2 quarts? Sometimes people don't drain the oil out of the reservoir.

That's one thing I hated about the DS 650. The resevoir was under the handle bars and a pain to get a funnel in there to drain it.

But I sure miss that torque and horsepower.

Originally Posted By: Dozer
Just fueling the fire here but I alway thought it was common practice not to run synthetic oil in a motor till it is broke in? I supose 16hrs is about broke in?

I think this is not true anymore. They come filled with synthetic from the get go.

On our 700 we took some old exhaust pipe which we found to just barely fit over the oil filter, I think we bent the one end open bigger or it was just made like that(havent looked at it in a while). The pipe sticks out about 4" then you can put the oil filter wrench on the pipe. We also have a small diameter oil filter wrench that works pretty good but you have to work it in there just right to get it on. Then you have to use two hands to tighten the wrench around the filter which is tricky. One hand to work the lever and the other hand to squeeze the wrench together.

Also when you put a new oil filter I wouldnt use the Polaris filter. I took the Polaris and matched it up with a Fram filter from Wal-Mart. They sale a motorcycle filter that fits right on and it has the grip stuff on the end so its easier to get on and off, and its cheaper.

Just FYI, did you drain out all the 2 quarts? Sometimes people don't drain the oil out of the reservoir. Not sure if the 700 is the same as a 500, but the engine only holds 1/2 a quart, I think. The rest is in the reservoir where the dip stick is.

The 700 is set up totally different then the 500. No extra reservoir to drain like on the 400 and 500 engines.

Thanks for the info. I will now plan more time to change the oil in our Sportsman, instead of 15 minutes.

She has like 8 hours and 60 some miles on it. Anyone have an idea when a good time to change the oil the first time? I'm thinking a few more miles and about 10 hours would be good.

Originally Posted By: Fisherman For a Lifetime
MNexplorer:

Do you know which Part Number Fram that is....??

I wouldn't use the orange can, just the tough guard or better.

Thanks!

I heard Fram filters are no good. Used to put in all the Powerstrokes we have, Mech buddy said STOP. use wix/napa, that was an air filter, but he said oil filters are same

Originally Posted By: Fisherman For a Lifetime
MNexplorer:

Do you know which Part Number Fram that is....??

I wouldn't use the orange can, just the tough guard or better.

Thanks!

I dont remember what the number was, sorry. We use the tough guard.

Originally Posted By: killerloop1
I heard Fram filters are no good. Used to put in all the Powerstrokes we have, Mech buddy said STOP. use wix/napa, that was an air filter, but he said oil filters are same

I've heard similar reports of people having troubles with them. But without using them myself, I can't make any comments based on experience. But I don't care to repair machines, I'd rather be riding so I err on the side of caution and stick with the manufacturers parts.

Thanks for the info. I will now plan more time to change the oil in our Sportsman, instead of 15 minutes.

Changing the oil on the Sportsman is a dream compared to the Rincon.

It's really time consuming on the Polaris when you do the motor, transmission, and front hubs at the same time.

I wish Polaris would put the rear diff. from the 700/800 into the 500. I'm not a fan of the suitcase tranny.

I use a nylon strap oil filter wrench (google it), there isn't much space between the filter and the engine case. It works pretty well with an extension. I'm not a big fan of the plastic end cap filter wrenches.