• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eyewear

BassProAddict

I have a pair of Costas in amber with green mirror glass Rx. I would never be without them fishing or any other time in the sun. They are by far the best pair of glasses I have ever had. The wrap around styles keeps the light from reflecting off the lens and back in your eyes. $500.00 for my glasses and I would do it again if my eyes change prescription. The Costas design is incredible. They laminate their lenses so the mirror on the lens is protected from scratches and wouldn’t worry about the fracturing into the eye with the laminate.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My basic price was a little over 200.00 without Rx. Glass is more along with the RX. Well worth it. You won't ever regret it.

Clarity and depth of color are the biggest thing with the glasses that I have noticed. Both of which are a big plus when fishing.

Costas and maui jim are the top of the line for sunglasses.

MJ are even more expensive by about 70.00

The upper end lenses are supposed to better reduce yellow light which delivers enhanced colors and better visual acuity in any conditions (in their words).

You definitely pay more for them. I am very happy with their standards lenses, though.

The Costas are a great pair of glasses and they do have the "cheater lenses" in a couple styles that retail for around 229.00. I wear the fathoms in an amber lense and they really do allow you to see into the water in varying conditions. I even wear them in overcast conditions to improve visibility in the water. I have some Maui Jims as well and they are in the standard dark grey polarized lense but I much prefer the Costas. They also have a lifetime warranty against defects.

Tunrevir~

thought i would chime in , i have wiley x that are wrap around,

i have some what bad astigmatism = not good! anyways , i bought them in osseo and they said if i did not like the lenses they

would have me try another set of lenses. i only paid about 250.00

for these and are presciption and i do love them .

thanks

Quote:
If your anything like your brother....(assuming from the last name) then you couldn't catch a fish if it was handed to you

Deitz of I remember correctly Lisa out fished us BOTH grin.gif

As far as sunglasses go I have 2 pair of Costa Del Mars and they really do help with fatigue on the eyes and a pair of prescription Raybans that are pretty good.

Im pretty sure Im just kicking a dead horse as this has been said a few times, but I lose EVERYTHING so I figure Id rather lose a $10 pair of sunglasses than a $100+ pair. Well last year I had some oney left over in my Flexspend accout at work and figured that I could justify buying a real nice pair of Oakley polarized prescriptions as I was in a use it or lose it situation. After the first few days, I felt stupid for not buying them sooner! My headaches went away, they fit a whole lot nicer, and I hardly put any scratches in them whereas all the cheap ones would look like someone ran steel wool across the lenses. I highly recommend making the splurge. If youre concerned with different lenses, etc- there are a LOT of great companies out there with interchangeable lenses, Smith, Spy, etc. that are a little cheaper but great glasses. (My favorite plan of action is go to a place like Sunglass Hut where you can try styles and get info, then buy cheap online \:\) )

Here's my dilemna about buying ANOTHER pair of polarized glasses.

I currently use Oakley halfjackets in Fire lense and polarized.While the glasses give comfort to my eyes, I honestly can see IN the water better without them on! Maybe my Oaks aren't designed for fishing or the lense color is to blame.

Do you guys really see INTO the water with the glasses you use? (PS-please mention your glasses that allow you to do this)

Yes, I can see in the water well with my glasses on. Just on Sunday I was out on the river in St. Paul. I tried to position the boat right on the mud seam between the Sota and the Sippi. Without the glasses, I couldn't see a thing, but with the glasses I could easily see where the mud was boiling up and positioned the boat directly on the seam. It was a cloudy overcast day but the glasses worked like always.

My glasses are Oakley A-Wire in Amber with the polarized lenses. They are older, but man do I love them. Like I said earlier in this thread, they have saved my eyes a couple times. There are some scratches, but I can still see out of them no problem. They are also nice because they are not that dark and I can see with them on in low light periods very well.

Quote:
Do you guys really see INTO the water with the glasses you use? (PS-please mention your glasses that allow you to do this)

I can say without a doubt, no ands, ifs or butts...I can see MUCH better in the water with my glasses on than off. Depending on day light and water color/clarity. Different glasses and lense colors will work better. Hence why I have 4 different pairs with all different lense colors. Most are Costa DelMar Phantoms.

Deitz - I went with the Fathoms in the Green Mirror 580 glass lens. The frame style is identical to my cheap ones, but the lenses are obviously top notch. I found what I liked in stores, and I ended up ordering them online for a better price.