• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Cleaning....

Goat's beard? I've never heard of such a thing. It looks to me like a giant dendelion at the end of it's term. Whatever, it sure is a neat shot. Did you lay on your back to take this shot?

MMeyer, I'll bet you are just chomping at the bit to get out and take shots like this, with your new glass.

X -

That's X -actly \:\) what an overripe goats beard looks like - a big dandilion! Yep, got down and dirty for this one!

Mike will be taking these in his sleep by the middle of the summer!

Mike, got everything put away for the night, but I know pretty close on this one. I actually shot it with a Kodak 6490 before I got my first dslr. ISO was almost always at 100 and had it on automatic. With the bright backlight, I would give an educated guess that with that camera that it probably exposed at about 8.0 and 1/250 or 1/350. These kind of shots were one of the reasons (besides sports) that I went to a dslr. Macro shots were difficult to get because the auto focus didn't work well on macros and there was no manual focus on that camera. When this one came out as well as it did I was ecstatic.

Nice Images Ken!You are getting me into a spring macro mode with that goat'sbeard image!I love those macros!....and macro season is just around the corner! grin.gif....my Fuji s9000 has a screen that tilts so one can litterally put the camera on the ground and point and or angle it any direction.I love that capability! plus it takes better superclose up macros then any of my other cameras(less then 1/2 an inch from the subject)...I think half my photos in the summer season are probably in the form of a macro....yes,even older technology has it's place and I'll certainly never part with my older cameras,not even sure if there are any cameras on the market today that have tilt lcd screens but man I sure like mine!...hope my fuji lasts for years! grin.gif..here's a couple images of "spring flowers" taken from the "bottom-up"...I'm hoping that mt new Lumix will work on macros,we'll see I guess!

a spring trillium that usually has it's flowers underneath the leaves...image taken with the camera on the ground angled slightly up yet still able to see the lcd screen quite easily...

noddingtrillium33.jpg

another of a soldier beetle on an ox-eye daisy

copy2-1copy.jpg

an anemone taken from "below"

june15th020-2copy.jpg

an anemone or a hepatica...

DSCF3086-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF3356-4copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF3343-3.JPG

Ken, they're both very nice. I especially like the goatsbeard (aka salsify or oyster plant), because of the sun along the lower edge and the way the sphere of the seedhead perfectly matches the curve of the trees. Really nice work.

C'mon you guys, you're giving me cabin fever. Don't MAKE me dip into the archives! grin.gifgrin.gif

X-T, salsify grows down your way, too. Pretty large yellow flower on a stalk a couple feet tall. Leaves are grasslike. Look for them along roadsides or in fields.

jonny_redhorse what did you use to take the anemone or a hepatica picture? My sister is very convincing in telling me to buy a lensbabies. she loves hers and takes cool pictures. I told myself no more new toys til I figure out the one I have but I'm not listening very well.

DeeDee,I really never used anything but the camera itself for the anemone photo....anything that was done to the image was post processed from "Picasa" and Photo Elements....kinda resembles a lens baby I guess but never really was my intention,just turned out that way... grin.gif