• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bucktails........

cjac

Hi,

Lots of questions about the big bucktails, rods and reels to throw them, and lots bought recently by looking at what y'all got at the Expo.

I'll start by saying I like the big blade baits, doubles, and have done well on them, but there is more to life in a muskie's mind than a big thumping bladed bait. I like the Mojo XX bucktail line with the maribou vs. the flashabou, it puffs out and pulses well, looks "lifelike". They work well on the deeper weedline edges but a double 10 is not ALWAYS the ticket.

I'm looking to do more with less, meaning I'm not just going to throw the big stuff. Speed, the impression of speed, movement and vibration can be achieved with other bucktails. Smaller bucks can be burned, and speed flat out kills sometimes. Enough to win tourneys on Mille Lacs, the home of the big blades! Willow bladed bucks are great for this, as they offer less resistance. Smaller double bladed bucks are another option, far easier to bring in and create the illusion of speed, even if they aren't really coming in that much faster.

If you look at a Lilly Tail, it's an unassuming bait at face value, 1 ounce range and 6 inches or so. Look closer, and you'll see the blade is down the shaft almost 2 inches. This creates more rotation and vibration, but still can be brought along across the top of weeds at a decent clip. RKs seminar talked about fishing more shallow water, the smaller bucks are a great option to consider. He also mentioned their hooking %, they're very good. Good things to put in your favor, as he knows a thing or two about muskies.

My point is to not limit yourself, especially early in the season. Bucktails of all sizes work, not just the monsters.

Like I've said in the past, I've had more luck on Double Showgirls than DCGs. Had multiple 50s on them and had a couple other 50s hit a Vibrax 6, Llungen Tail and a Lily Tail. I believe in the DCG, but I rarely throw them anymore \:\)

I think it all depends on what water your fishing..... One of the lakes I fish a DCG will out produce a small bucktail 5 to 1, no matter what time of year. All that water the big blades push is just to much for em to resist grin.gif but there are defienitly situations where a small blade will get the job done.

the hook percentage point by RK is what i've said for years also. i figured it was the hook size so i always put 5/0 VMC's on on my copy's rather than the 7/0's. just think they hook better.

Short story. One I have told before.

I was fishing with one of RK's friends on Leech for the first time. I was kind of nervous being we were fishing in my boat and this was the first time I had ever fished with a writer/guide in my life not to mention one so well respected. He showed up and had one fishing rod and no tackle box. I asked if I should get his box out of the truck for him and he responded. "I have not taken this lure off for a couple weeks but if I decide to I always have this one" and he pulled one other bait out of his pocket. The bait he had not taken off was a lily tail.

Could it be that simple?

The Lilytail is a great bait and a Leech legend for sure. Rusty Lilliguist (sp?) is from Hackensack, enough said. One of my favorites is an orange blade w/ a bubble gum, ok.... pink skirt.

The Blue Fox Vibrax #5 and #6 is the best $6 muskie bait there is. It is a bait that everyone should throw once in a while. Also, how about the Mepps Muskie Killer? Great spinner... Any on the Muskie Candy from Fuddally is awsome too, his flashabou is sweet and for a small bucktail, you can throw them with a heavier rod and run them deeper.

Lots of really good small stuff out there, and just remember that everyone else is throwing big stuff now.

Burning small bucktails works best for me in early fall when the water just starts to cool, but I'll do it other times too. Some lakes it can be a top presention all year, I guess. Definitely a tactic that can provide some fun boatside moments. Think fast - because the fish is faster!

I've had some pretty good success on small bucktails year around, but especially during the heat of summer in late July and early August. So often, folks think big baits, big fish, and that definitely has it's time and place.

Last year, when the water temps got up into the 80's, I gave up fishing during the day to protect the fish and found myself fishing only during the night and the wee hours of the morning. Once the sun came up, the fish literally seemed to go underground, but the one thing we could get them to go on was the small bucktails. I'm finding that water temp and comfort level have so much to do with musky fishing success. I think when the water temps are becoming uncomfortable for the muskies and their attitude is tending toward neutral or negative, they're much more apt to eat a smaller offering.

I'm a big fan of Hirsch's Ghosttails, Llungen #8, Maina Double Trouble, Mepps Musky Maribou...stuff like that.

hey setterguy, what do they look like? i don't believe i've seen a different style. pics would be excellent. anything can be remade. i've made a few for myself and put .035 wire on them to create a little more wobble. love to see them.

What do you guys think of Slammertails?

Reading this post made dig through my spare bucktail box. I found 2 original Lillytails (I think, no tag), a MuskieMania Lillytail, a knockoff I bought a couple years ago in Bemidji, and 2 Salmmertails. The Slammertails are about 8 yrs old. They are basically a copy of a lillytai with slightly heavier main wire.

i kept reading your signature and since i never made or even owned a .. pink..lure i decided to go out and get some pink marabou and tie one up. springs are done. i powder painted the blades their baking now. i put a little tiny bit of bright yellow in it to make it more ''eastery'' and when the cement dries i'll put the epoxy on the wraps. by tonight i'll have a brand new pink marabou with ##10 pink/yellow blades with pink and black beads. think i'll go down right now and do the clevises in pink and yellow too. thanks reb. this is fun!!! grin.gif

thanks setterguy. i'm going to talk to a few people and try and get more info too. then again if it's just blades, wire and color mabe i won't get so all worked up about it. \:D and truthfully i might actually have the old ones. i bought two about 4-5 years ago. one bright yellow one jet black. then i copied them with thinner wire and did some the same. in different colors of course. i'll figure it out. thanks again

Has anyone ever used the single big-blade bucktail from Muskie Safari. I saw these at the expo and was tempted to pick one up. I talked to the guy who makes them (forgot his name) and he said he makes the blades. The blades are bigger than anything I saw at the expo. The bait seems weighted sufficiently to keep it from popping the surface, but I'm just looking for any first hand experience using the bait.

I have used Wisher Weedless Bucktail... its a single-hook... and practically makes it weedless as the hook points up... I havent really thrown it out much because its way too light but I've made some adjustment to it... I changed out the wire to .052 and added other fluted indiana blade to it... I also put back half of the beads, and exchanged other half with heavier solid beads... so that should help with the overall weight... I'll probably use that more often this year...