• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum Vs Vex

Fishing Freak

Originally Posted By: btetzl50
No experience with Marcum, but my FL18 led a jail-break and jumped out of the back of the truck yesterday on 35W and other than road rash, worked just fine on WBL.

Yeah, I keep mine in the cab

Well said Northernsportman... Any depth finder is going to help you catch fish. Its more a matter of what bells and whistles you like. I am a depth finder junkie.. I own a MarCum LX-5, an LX-3, an FL-18 and a Showdown. And from time to time I use them all during the year. My fave for my style fishing is the LX-5.

I purchased an FL-20 this year and could not be happier. I am in love with the 6 foot zoom. I don't no if I could ever fish without having the zoom. In my circle of fisherman, 4 of us have vex. and 2 have Marcum. In most cases they are both succesful, but the Marcum users are usually sitting in their own fishouse (due to interference). I guess it depends on your personality. If you want to fish alone get a Marcum. If you want to fish with your buddies get a Vex (kidding). Although it is a nice excuse if you don't like to babysit your friends.

Fished along vex's & marcums, in my experience did not have problems with eliminating interference. Both brands saw interference but was able to eliminate using the IR button. This included FL8/18/20, and LX3tc/5.

Vex FL-18 with a magnifier!! It keeps the snow off the lens, ables you to see much better and protects the lens when beating across the ice in your portable.

Forgot... Its also about $100 cheaper then the FL-20! and twice the unit as a Marcum.

Have them all and the Fl-18 for the money is the best of the best!

One big one for me being a Laker and Stream Trout fisher is that I was out last weekend in the BWCA. 35"-40" of ice. Swept the snow away and then used some water from a bottle to see if I could get depth with my LX-3tc. 35.5 ft on the mark. My buddies fl-18 wouldn't do that. I want the HP of the marcum for just that reason. But they do need to come out with Dual Transducer.

I know that some of the Marcum users say that the 3/4" seperation is not possible on the Vexilar. That is untrue based on first hand experience.

Towards the end of the season I have been fishing 80 FOW for lakers with my FL-20. I could very easily identify two seperate lines on the screen when fishing a #4 sweedish pimple with a minnow head on the hook using the 12' zoom. One line being the pimple and the other being the minnow head. It was also easily identified when the minnow was gone.

I have not had the chance to compare the two units in that situation but I know that the poor seperation that has been labeled to the Vexilar is untrue.

Quote:
The Vex marks your bait with a 2 or 3 color line the width of a pinky....

You need to reduce your gain. When set properly, your jig should only appear as a thin green dash on your Vexilar. Definitley not 3 colors, and definitely not pinky-wide....

-Munchy