• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum Vs Vex

Fishing Freak

Yup, that subject has been kicked around more than a soccer ball on this forum. Lots and lots of good info can be found with the search option. In my opinion, you cant go wrong with either brand/model. I own both and its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. You will just need to do some research, check them out for yourself and go with what feels right for you. Either way, you cant go wrong and you will catch more fish.

save your time and just by a marcum, they have stats to prove they are better and every marcum user say they are great.

Where as The Vex users just say theirs is better because its what they use and they don't want to feel inferior.

Originally Posted By: TNFL
save your time and just by a marcum, they have stats to prove they are better and every marcum user say they are great.

Where as The Vex users just say theirs is better because its what they use and they don't want to feel inferior.

No, take your time and actually read the threads that have been argued from before. Reading a post like this is not going to help you.

There are quite some strong opinions on this topic obviously. Both great units.

As a previous long thread i happen to initiate recently, is to find a group of fishermen and look at both and you decide what you like the best. There are definite advantages to both, but most of those are personal choices. I run a marcum and would never change, but that is because the marcum suits me better. I understand and can read it much better.

I've used Vexilar FL8,18,20 and Marcum LX3, LX5.

Don't let anyone tell you one lets you see fish better then the other - they both will find them and help you catch more fish. Also, lots of talk that interference will be more of a problem on a vex vs Marcum because of its power output. Just fished in a house with an FL8/18/20 and Marcum LX5 and had no problems. All of them will see some interference but using the IR (interference rejection) button will usually clear it.

I personally find the Vexilars much easier to read and easier on the eyes. I find the FL20 to have the best display. It has a flat display so no water/snow will build up on the screen. Because it is flat, you can see it from a wider angles and has a larger display - this really works great when you are teaching someone to use it or sharing. Also, it has a night mode which reduces the brightness so you don't go blind looking at it at night. I used the LX5 at night and after a couple hours, I couldn't look at it any more because of the brightness (amber color is the worst especually when marking a lot of fish).

If you are going after fish hugging the bottom, having the bottom zoom is a must to see fish tight to the bottom. Otherwise not real important if you are looking to save some money. The Marcum LX3/LX5 has zoom that move up and down the water column, which I feel is over rated (unless fishng in more than 40 ft of water). If you are after suspending fish, usually you are working the entire water column so it is easier to not use any zoom - you can see the fish and lure just fine at these depths. I can't imagine people would want to constantly mess with adjusting the location of the zoom in the water column to try to follow the fish location.

From my personal experience and numerous posts on this site, I would stay away from the Marcum LX-3/3tc's. They are notorious for having reliabilty issues - sure Marcum's great customer service will fix it, but that does not help you when you are out trying to fish only to find out your flasher is not working right (happened to me w/ my LX3tc, that is why I am now a Vex fan). Have not heard that the LX5's have these same types of issues - but my freind is having issues with his LX5, the battery/charger seems to be malfunctioning despite taking care of the battery properly. Typically don't hear too many issues with the Vexilar's (unless it is 10 year old and needs cleaning - this is not a reliabilty issue, it is normal maintenance), if you do have problems they have great fast service also.

If I were to pick my prefered setup it would be the FL-20 with a 12 degree transducer, 2nd choice FL18, 3rd LX5.

Apparently you don't sell vexilars or you'd see there are plenty of problems that pop up with them. I send in several each week to be repaired. In the past three years I've sent in one Marcum. I'd like to know where you are getting this garbage that the lx3tc is notorious for reliability issues. I know there was a bad batch of transducers on a number of lx3's. Can't say I've seen or heard of many problems with the Lx3tc or the lx5.

Now, I like both vex and marcum, but I wouldn't trade my marcum for any vex. I believe you get more out of the marcum and it's less costly than the wex.

Whatever you like better is what you should buy. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

I went with an LX2 MarCum because of the price. And after using it next to my dads FL18 (which he paid twice as much as me, btw) I am very happy with my decision. The colors are more crisp, and noise, lemme tell you- that Vex is LOUD. I don't know why that disc spinning in those is so loud, but it is. My MarCum is silent as can be. As far as my earlier reason about the colors being more crisp, I haven't seen the FL12 or FL20 with the flat faces in action.

The people who own a Vexilar will say Vex and the guys who own a Marcum will say Marcum.

I've seen both in action and own a high end unit. My opinion is check the specifications and functions of both and buy what fits your needs.

Either one will make you happy and help you find and catch more fish.

Yeah I maybe a bit biased but if I had a nickle for everyone that swapped there vex for a MarCum I'd be rich, it's not going the other way I assure you. Fished with a group of blind guys yesterday and there all getting a VX-1 next season why?? Simply you can't beat the price point VX-1's period. They are the best priced, multiple featured flasher that has set a new bar for entry level models. As far as your comments on the LX-3 and staying away from it. Try telling the die hard LX-3 fishers that have had nothing but outstanding performance since purchased. My personal experience would rate this way..

LX-5

LX-3

VX-1

Originally Posted By: Fishing Freak
Im intrested in buying one of the brands but would like to hear what people think about the units to help me with may pick out of one of them.

thanks o/

depends on what your experience has been with using a flasher...

I just got an LX5 just to be different from all my Vexilars buddies. Good enough reason at the time of purchase.

Now I've figured out all my benefits from the other features, I'm sure glad I got a Marcum. Adjustable zoom and superfineline is awesome.

Quote:
lemme tell you- that Vex is LOUD. I don't know why that disc spinning in those is so loud, but it is. My MarCum is silent as can be.

Last week at LOTW my friend's FL-18 made a ton of noise with the hard plastic bottom on a plywood floor, He even commented on how much quieter my Marcum was, maybe the soft case helps out.

As far as marking your bait, I like the Marcum way better. The Vex marks your bait with a 2 or 3 color line the width of a pinky, while the marcum is a little amber dash. While some might like the more visible bait, I prefer the crisp and detailed seperation the marcum provides when a fish gets close to your bait. Plus I can tell if the fish is on the side of my bait (green) or right next to my bait (red) the vex's just don't seem to show that detailed of seperation, IMO.