• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Building supplies & tools

I took some pics of most of the stuff I use to build rods. A lot of it is home made. I hope it give some of you that are thinking of getting into building a few rods some ideas as to where to start.

Here are some of the 1st stands I used for Wrapping. 1ststands.jpg

Here is the wrapping unit I have now (the rod in progress is a 6' St Croix SC111 ultra light) newwrapper.jpg

Here is what I have for a thread tensioner threadtensionerandlight.jpg

Here is a clamp that I drilled a hole in one end to clamp handles together while the glues sets up. clamp.jpg

Some rat tail files to file the cork grip to fit on the blank. Rattailfiles.jpg

Flat files for prepping the guide feet. flatfiles.jpg

Thread tools for packing threads and burnishing. threadtools.jpg

Mixing cup and a stir stick--(coffee stir stick from McDonalds) For mixing thread epoxy. mixingcupandstir.jpg

Butt Wrap layout jig layoutjig.jpg

Some Misc supplies, color preserver, double sided tape(this is for holding thread on butt wrapps), and alcohol(for glue and epoxy clean up) Miscstuff.jpg

Thread epoxy and syringes. threadepoxy.jpg

Straw(for popping bubbles in thread epoxy) hot melt ferrule cement(for glueing on the tip top) and a lighter to melt the glue and or help pop bubbles in epoxy. strawandcement.jpg

Some cheapo artist brushes to apply thread epoxy and a black marker to re color the guide feet after you prep them. brushesandmarker.jpg

Prepped and non prepped guide feet. guidepreppedfront.jpgguidepreppedside.jpg

Rod dryer. dryer.jpg

Nice post upnorth.

Could I inquire as to the significance to filing the eyes/guide feet?

I have viewed how to videos and had a class or two and have never seen this technique.

Thanks and keep the tips coming...

It does three things.

1. It allows for a easy smooth ramp for the thread to climb up when wrapping. No lump where it makes the transition from the blank to the guide foot.

2. When it is prepped like that the edges of the feet after wrapping will look rounder and smoother. You won't have that sharp line on the edges on the guide foot.

3. It takes some extra weight off the guide. Probably pretty small but it is some non the less.

Prepping the guide foot like that just depends on how fussy you are. I am fussy.

upnorth,

I can visualize your description of your technics and look forward to trying them myself. Your fussiness or attention to details surely is evident in the pictures and explanations that you share.

I appreciate your tips and also the tips of the other fellows that have been sharing knowledge here. ;\)

Quote:
upnorth,

I can visualize your description of your technics and look forward to trying them myself. Your fussiness or attention to details surely is evident in the pictures and explanations that you share.

I appreciate your tips and also the tips of the other fellows that have been sharing knowledge here. ;\)

ThankS! And it is nice to know it helped and it is appreciated.

UpNorth - Very nice picts and compalation of stuff, looks similar to my set up. I like the idea of the clamp with the hole in it, im stealing that one cool.gif.

I just got a lathe a few months ago and started making my own handles from scratch. I made this little jig to hold the rings while the epoxy dries. Cost a few bucks for some threaded rod, a few nuts, washers, wingnuts, and some scrap wood. In the pict is an icerod handle drying and one I already turned on the lathe...

p3120657wn6.jpg