• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UFC 87... Minneapolis????

hanson

Heard a little rumor on the radio this morning that UFC 87 was filming at the Target Center in August in Minneapolis and Brock Lesnar was on the card.

Anyone else hear this and who else is fighting? I think we might need a little Fishing Minnesota MMA contingent to show up to this if its the real deal. \:\)

Mark Coleman? I thought Coleman was at least 60 years old? grin.gif Brock ought to be able to twist him up pretty good and after Coleman, maybe he can get ahold of Dan Severn and twist him in different directions!

I guess I'm being to hard on Brock, he has to fight SOMEBODY and he certainly can't start at the top! I guess the Hammer is okay for now, whereas Meir wasn't...guys gotta learn the trade somewhere, somehow.

I watched it and it was awesome!! Brock laid out herring with a vicious right hand about 10 seconds into the fight and then just wrestled him for three rounds landing a few knees and strikes along the way. Herring had absolutely no chance of getting away from Brock. He controlled every aspect of the fight, total domination. The same could be said for Gsp and Ken-flo, even though both fights went the distance they weren't really even close. Awesome card all aroud.

Lesnar Dominates Herring

After losing to former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir in his Octagon debut in February, many wondered whether former pro wrestling superstar Brock Lesnar was more hype than substance. But after a shutout three round decision win over perennial heavyweight contender Heath Herring in the UFC 87 co-feature at Target Center, there is no question that Lesnar may very well be the division’s next big thing.

“Can you see me now?” screamed an ecstatic Lesnar to his hometown crowd. “I fell off the horse against Frank Mir, and I got back on that stallion and rode off on it.”

Scores were 30-26 across the board for Lesnar.

Lesnar’s first right hand of the fight landed and dropped Herring, forcing him to flip over backwards on the canvas. Lesnar immediately moved in to tackle his foe, only to have Herring rise. Lesnar tried to sink in a guillotine choke, and though Herring would escape, his left eye was already bloody and swelling rapidly, and Lesnar would easily desposit him back on the mat with a lightning quick takedown. While there, Lesnar took his time, but when he did throw something, it jarred ‘The Texas Crazy Horse’, who was unable to make it back to his feet before the bell sounded.

Herring, with no quit in him whatsoever, fought off Lesnar’s first takedown of the second round, but he wasn’t so lucky on attempt number two, and the former NCAA national wrestling champion controlled the bout from the ground, getting Herring’s back and patiently looking for the opening that would end the fight. Herring got out of immediate trouble, but he was taking some vicious knees to the body in the process, and though Lesnar moved to side control, he was unable to do any significant damage and the two stood. While locked up against the fence, Lesnar and Herring traded knees before the Minnesota hero scored a knockdown just before the end of the round.

Looking to turn things around, Herring bullied Lesnar into the fence early in the third, but he got spun around and nailed with some knees before the bout hit the canvas. Herring had no answers for Lesnar or his thudding knees, and after an aborted kimura attempt by Herring, Lesnar briefly took the mount position, with Herring again giving up his back to escape. The alternative wasn’t much better for Herring though, as he continued to get drilled. A brief standup exchange gave Herring a light at the end of the tunnel, but Lesnar went back to his bread and butter and took his foe to the canvas, finishing the bout with another series of ground strikes.

“I’ve been trying to work on everything every day to be a complete fighter and a contender in the UFC,” said Lesnar.

With the win, Lesnar improves to 2-1; Herring falls to 28-14, 1 NC.

Courtesy: Thomas Gerbasi, UFC

*applauds* I had the luxury of meeting my buddies downtown at BW3 to watch the fights on PPV. I must say, that was easily the best 6 cards of fighting I have ever seen in one sitting. I figure Lesnar would have pounded or submitted Herring to an early tap-out, but Herring would take shot after shot against one of the world's best wrestlers who easily had more bulk and strength, and I figure for sure the match wouldn't see the lights of the 3rd round- and after some shots of his own, Herring ends up lasting through the 2nd round. Third round was a similar reproduction of both round 1 and round 2, but with Herring having a slight upper hand on a couple occasions and landing some stiff shots on Lesnar. The fight could not have been more in Lesnar's favor, and it was apparent early on that Herring knew he was in trouble from the look in his eyes when Lesnar's giant fists were dropping in his face- but Herring took one heck of a whooping and was a good sport about losing. The only thing not impressive is Lesnar's celebration when the fight was decided to his favor. Not only does he climb the fence and shout about he great he is, but then he has the nerve to do some sort of Monday night wrestling fist pump, like a baseball umpire calling a strike 3. I found that to be horribly tasteless and a selfish lack of sportsmanship in a sport that was built on the martial art's view on courage, self respect, and most of all sportsmanship. I think he is and will continue to be a very good fighter, but i think he has a lot to learn in MMA, and even more to learn about respect before I will ever cheer for that poor role model show-boater.

I'd have to say the tough guy award for the night goes to Jon Fitch. He seemed to get pounded for 25 minutes and he just kept coming back for more. I was surprised to see him come out of the first round with St-Pierre and then to last all five, he's one tough mf'er.

I agree it would have been nice if Lesnar would have a little more poise during and after the fight. The whole cowboy dance and fist pumping reminded all too much of his wwe (acting) days.

I have to agree with you doughnut about the Lesnar sportsmanship issue. I would like to see him loose the WWE bravado and focus on the fight as well. He could be very dangerous if he learns ju-jitsu (sp?) He is ungodly strong and fast for a man of his size. I sure don't want to get punched in the mouth from him! All in all I think it was a great card and had some great fights. GSP looked great and I would love to see him vs BJ Penn sometime soon. Brock vs Kongo could be a good fight as well.

BJ...I don't know man? I'd have to say it goes to Herring, that dudes face looked like someone worked him over with an 8 pound sledge!

He was still there at the end and all the way through, when he got the chance, he tried to give some back and managed to do so on the rare occassion.

A lesser man would have folded with that fist wicked punch he got hit with....took him right off his feet and propelled him right through the air! Takes a pretty tough, hard headed dude to withstand something like that!

It goes without saying that Fitch is tough, but him and GSP were more evenly matched in size and strength, unlike Herring and Lesnar.

Yeah, it's pretty bad when your 6'4" 250 lb and you look small compared to Brock! Heaths corner should have thrown in the towel. His eye was pretty messed up, but Heath is one tough dude, I'll give him that! The Vanilla Gorilla beat him up pretty bad!