• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Repairs

Lee,

I only helped a friend with this and it isn't that hard or bad to do. One thing to think about is take a good look at what you will need and then start. Nothing waste time like having to keep running back to the store. What kind of boat do you have and how much wiring do you plan to do? If possible I would recommend that at every terminal and or splice you use a small amount of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Take your time and you will be happy with the results. Good luck brother.

Steve

I have a 2001 Alumacraft Magnum 165cs. It needs new carpet (my opinion)and want to put a new fuse (breaker) panel in it. It has duel batteries right now with a duel switch but I don't think it's hooked up to the battery in the front and with the front battery I want to put in a new deep cycle battery and on board charger for the trolling motor (putting on next week, 12v) for that battery. I have a Yamaha 80hp 4-stroke and from what everyone tells me the motor has a good alternator in it and will keep the cranking battery charged good. The reason I really want to rewire is because of the breaker panel and I'm not sure were what battery the fish finder, live well, gps, stereo and vhf radio are hooked up to. I'm figuring since I'm going to have this all torn apart I'm going to but in an aerator for the live well.

I was given a near mint 14 ft. 1964 Sea Ray with a 60 hp Evinrude V4 and a 1952 Johnson 5.5 hp kicker. Need to clean her up and tune the motors. Not bad for a freebie! From the 2nd owner too and on a trailer. My friend's Dad gave it to me before he passed. I used to keep it running for him before my injuries. She ran well. Hope she will again. Anyone want to work? hehehe

Lee, I have a 1995 Skeeter ZX200 (20ft) with a 150XRI . . . need to work on my carpet too, or buy a new boat and save me the trouble. It is not hard and the advice about having everything is on the mark. Have had some of the seats redone. As for the accessories, they are usually hooked to the starter battery with the big engine keeping the battery up to snuff to handle the load. Although this last year I added a 4th battery for the accessories and to use if needed for 36v on my trolling motor. I use that setting very infrequently. I bought 3 DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-2 - Group Size 34M batteries to handle my power requirements and the trolling motor acts like it is brand new. If you need help, I can make the time.

While you're ripping out the carpet, now is the time to make sure the wood is in good condition. You might as well replace anything that is cracked or showing signs of rot. If you’re going to reuse the wood, make sure you sand off the old carpet and glue. Cut the new rug to size, use a trowel with the proper teeth size to spread the glue, and place the carpet on the wood. We used a linoleum roller to insure proper rug to glue contact. The wiring isn’t too bad either. A fish tape will come in handy. Solder your connections and use shrink tubing to protect them. Just take you time and don’t rush the job.

Originally Posted By: Otis1
Do you live far from Oneida? If not, I'll come to the party. At least I can open beers and run to the store!

Now thats a Buddy right there! LOL

Lee, make sure the carpet "Needs" replacing. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to give it a good cleaning rather than opening Pandora's box. Would stink missing out on the spring perch run waiting to finish. Just A thought as there are awesome carpet cleaners out there now! That and a trip to the car wash unless you have a pressure washer.

Steve