• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Garlic Recipe

I'm a garlic nut. If I can eat enough to start sweating the stuff after a meal...I'm in heaven. I definitely have a few recipes of my own, but thought that I'd put it out there. What are your favorite recipes utilizing a good amount of garlic?

Let's hear 'em.

Simple roasted garlic mashed potatoes can't be beat, I start by taking several whole cloves of garlic and trim the tops just enough to reveal the garlic inside. I then toss them in olive oil and apply a generous dose of salt and pepper. Place in covered pan at 350 and bake for about an hour or till the garlic appears soft and emerges from the clove. Allow to cool slightly and place bottom of the clove in hand and squeeze out all of the goodness. Apply liberally to your mash potatoes or use it to rub meats prior to grilling. Whatever your poison this is a great way to take some of the bitterness out of plain old garlic.

I would likely do it the same way, melt the butter slowly so it doesn't get too hot and clarify then mix in the pureed roasted garlic. Partially grill off your steak and soak the steak in the butter/garlic mix for ten minutes and return to the grill. We used to use this method for resting lamb chops out in Colorado. (minus the garlic)

Originally Posted By: SkunkedAgain
I'm a garlic nut. If I can eat enough to start sweating the stuff after a meal...I'm in heaven. I definitely have a few recipes of my own, but thought that I'd put it out there. What are your favorite recipes utilizing a good amount of garlic?

Let's hear 'em.

Lebanese Garlic for bad spellin commin up (La Ha Mish wa)

Its pure garlic mayo! UMMM Got about a pint in the fridge now,when its gone I make another batch.

I've made this a number of times. Great Sunday Dinner. Family packs of Chicken Thighs go on sale often - CHEAP. Vacuum pack what you don't use in this recipe. Buy the bone in for value when and for moister, more flavorful chicken when cooked.

Braised Italian Chicken Thighs - Like Garlic?

1 tbsp olive oil

1 (28oz) can chopped tomatoes

3 lbs chicken thighs, skin removed

1/4 cup Spanish green olives, quartered

Salt, Pepper

1 Bay leaf

4 Bell Peppers (Yellow & Red)

1/4 tbls dried thyme

1 medium Onion

7 garlic cloves (crushed with flat side of knife)

In Dutch Oven, warm oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt & pepper and cook till browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.

Add thinly sliced bell peppers, onion and garlic to pot. Cook till softened (about 6 minutes).

Add tomatoes along with the juice, olives, bay leaf, paprika, thyme and bring to a boil

Return chicken to the pot, reduce heat and simmer covered till chicken is fall apart tender, about 45 minutes.

Serve over a mound of Cheffery's Garlic Mashed Potatoes along with some sliced Garlic Butter Toasted French Bread. Only fresh baked bread will do.

Take some good French bread and toast it by putting some olive oil on both sides and stick it in a hot pan and toast to your liking and then take some fresh garlic cloves and cut in half and rub all over on both sides for a tasty fresh garlic flavor.

Roast a whole bulb of garlic in the oven. A quick search will get you there. Basically, cut off the top 1/2 inch, pour on olive oil, and roast in the oven until soft. Invert, and squeeze out the yumminess. Spread on good, soft bread.

whew.

Pure love.

Skunked,

Try this one on for size:

40 Garlic Clove Chicken

1 (4-pound) chicken, rinsed and patted dry

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 fresh parsley sprigs

1 fresh rosemary sprig

1 fresh thyme sprig

1 bay leaf

40 garlic cloves, unpeeled (from 3 to 4 heads of garlic)

1 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup dry white wine

French bread, optional accompaniment

Grilled Radiccio:

2 heads radicchio, quartered

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper. Place the parsley, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf inside the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and fold the wings under bird.

In a large Dutch oven or small heavy roasting pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning carefully to avoid tearing the skin, until golden brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.

Remove from the heat and transfer the chicken to a large plate. Add the garlic cloves and celery to the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, breast side up, and pour the white wine over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and then top with a lid to create an airtight seal. Bake for 1 1/2 hours without removing the cover.

For the radicchio: Preheat a grill or grill pan. Toss the radicchio wedges with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Arrange in a single layer on the grill and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Spoon the pan juices and whole garlic cloves over each portion of chicken, and pass the remaining juices and garlic tableside with French bread for dipping.

Remove the radicchio from the grill and serve hot or at room temperature

A great way to give your salad some zip is to press a clove or two of garlic right into the greens and mix it up. Try it I guarantee you'll love it!

Romaine lettuce torn into bitesize bits

red onion thin sliced

bell peppers-green, yellow, or red-sliced thin

grape or cocktail tomatoes-halved

a few sprigs of fresh rosemary-chopped

croutons, broken-crushed into smaller bits

2-3 slices bacon fried and chopped

1-3 cloves raw garlic, pressed

your favorite ceasar dressing I like a southwest ceasar dressing

your favorite shredded cheese-parmesean in good

nuts like pepitos or sunflower

whatever else you like put in it!