• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

big red

ikeslayer

There is this red craze among us now and i am wondering if it is worth it. Several companys put out red line saying it is the first color to disappear other companys put out bleeding baits with red hooks and sell red hooks saying the fish can see the blood showing weakness and causeing to strike. Isn't this a contradiction? is this a ploy to catch more fisherman and not more fish? has anyone thrown the exact same thing as another guy fishing in the same boat as you only one had red and one didn't. Was there a distinct difference in strikes? Love to hear what all yall have to say. ike

I think that about 1% of all new baits actually improve fishing.(when it comes to color). It seems like we all fall back to the tried and true colors that have been catching fish for us for years. It's not like the color red was just discovered. Remember "roy g. biv"? that is also the order in which color is lost in the water. Water absorbs the wavelengths of light selectively, one by one as depth increases. Though exact absorption rates will vary depending upon water conditions, you can assume that red will disappear at a depth of around 15 to 20 feet, orange at between 25 to 30 feet, yellow at 45 to 60 feet, green at 70 feet and at 100 feet, everything will appear blue or grayish green. At extreme depths all the light will be absorbed and everything will appear deep blue or black. Also remember, Progressive color loss is not a function of depth but is dependent on the distance light travels through water in any direction. So if you have a stained lake the color loss will occur much more shallow. Hope this helps.

GD

I only think the red color might make a difference in clear water where the fish have a chance to examine the bait. If the bait is in stained water or too deep I dont think it matters what the color is

???? funny you mention that the day after i started this post i went into walmart and was waiting for the wife so i pulled out the in-fish mag and there it was. Just got started reading when it was time to go but there timing couldn't be better. ike

Red is indeed the first color in the spectrum to disappear as light diminishes. That does not mean that red line, or red hooks disappear. Only the color is gone, the line or hook is still visible-just not in color.