• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano

Steve Eddicus

New that would get your attention DD. I would guess that you could say that I'm a Shimano guy. Love there products. I'm looking for 3 rods. One for flipping/pitching, one for spinnerbaits and the last for Texas rigged plastics. If you need more info I can provide what you need. I currently have 3 Chronarchs. 1 CH51MG and 2 CH101B. They are still in the box and need a home. Thanks for your help. This is not just for DD any help would be appreciated.

GD

For texas rigs I have been using a 6'10" MH compre and really have liked it. I have a 7' MH St.croix that is my official flippin and pitchin rod, but frequently I end up going to a shorter rod for more accuracy. Typically I'll use the 6'10" compre or a 6.5' MH St. Croix. This is probably just because I'm not the best of pitchers. For spinnerbaits I have used a number of rods but my primary spinnerbait rod is a M 6.5' St.Croix Avid series. I am getting a 7' MH Crucial crankbait rod that I will probably be trying out for SB's as well per advice from DD and others.

It feels like there are so many people that live and die by shimano rods and reels (including myself). With that said, Shimano doesn't seem to be too visable on the professional tournament scene. I've noticed that a lot of guys use the Quantum "Energy PT" and the "Tour Edition PT" baitcasters. I'm happy with my curados but does anyone know the difference between the two brands? GD, you mentioned that you bought three chronarchs. Did you try out any of the quantums before your purchase?

No I haven't. I couple of years ago I bought my first bait caster which was a Daiwa 103hsdl and then I bought the Chronarch sf. Night and day as far as i was concerned. I have tried a few others that my friends have, but they don't feel as smooth as the Chronarchs. When buying higher end reels I'm a little nervous going outside of what little i know. Wish they had demo days like golf clubs. I bet it would open the eyes of allot of folks. Could the use of Quantums have anything to do with KVD? Like Nike golf after Tiger?

GD

Quote:
New that would get your attention DD.

LOL---yeppers..

I can tell you what I use..

Flipping/pitching=Shimano Crucial 7'6" one piece MH. But I also just ordered the new 7'2" Cumara as well..

Texas Rig=6'10" MH Crucial... but I see you have a 50MG.. I plan on ordering one of them soon and putting it on a 6'8"M Cumara .. holy cow light.. scary light!

Spinnerbait. 7'MH Crucial Crankbait rod... I think the Compre would be fine too.. But the TC4 rod rocks for spinnerbaits.

Green Diver and Deitz,

I have several Shimano reels and love them. This year I want to buy a couple Shimano rods as I've thought they felt very nice and the reports here on the forum have been positive. I do not currently own any Shimano rods. My question is, do you know if Shimano sells combo's? Deitz, being that you likely have the inside scoop on Shimano sales, are you aware of any coming up? I'm looking for a spinning combo and a baitcast combo. Thanks for your help.

Coach Dog

Coach- Shimano does have some combos, but they are all the very low end of thier line.

As for sales...I can tell you that there is a rebate now on some of the baitcasters that help out a ton... not sure how much longer the rebate is good for.. but you can get the rebate on the Citica and Curado...Otherwise...If it were me buying them. I would buy at the sport show. I have worked a few store booths in the last couple of years, and if your buying combos, the stores inside give some pretty darn good deals.

Otherwise its unlikely to see shimano products on sale as they are price protected...

A lures weight shouldnt matter at all. As long as its got a good gear system. And the 50MG has that. For pitching I really like one with a flipping switch.. Like the Core or Castaic. This way you can engage the reel for a quick hook set without turning the crank. But that is just my personal opinion.

I guess they must be out of Quantum's again since we are talking about Shimano...LOL

Seriously though - I was a Quantum guy for years and due to all the hoopla over the Curado's I bought one and have used it now for several years and I like it fine but most recently have purchased three Quantum Tour Editions and 2 Energy PT's. That says it all. No contest in my opinion.

I love my quantum spinning reels, I have a few curados i bought a few years ago but have switched over to pflueger presidents that I like alot for baitcasters. Last year I got a chronarch 50mg, that is a sweet, very light reel. 2 yrs ago I got a Quantum tour edition PT, that is also a very nice reel. As for rods, last year I wanted to try something new, I bought 3 shimano crucials, which are ok. The rods I really like and have the best feel with are my Falcon Caras, do any other guys fish the Falcon rods.