• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Effects of spearing?

FishOn!

Spearing seems cool! I've sat in a shack once but didn't see anything. I understand the challange and have no problem w/ it, mostly. One thing I saw on a TV show disturbed me a bit though, I saw a guy hauling up a very nice sized northern and it shook off the spear and got away. how often does this happen? that is my biggest, looming negative w/ the sport. However, I also understand not every fish an angler releases or looses isn't as good as dead either.

Bruledrifter,

When I hit a fish, I simply leave my spear attached to the fish and let it rest on the bottom till it stops kicking. Then just slowly pull in the line/spear and very few if any get away from you if keep your spear sharp and don't yank them in super quick.

Originally Posted By: B420
Bruledrifter,

When I hit a fish, I simply leave my spear attached to the fish and let it rest on the bottom till it stops kicking. Then just slowly pull in the line/spear and very few if any get away from you if keep your spear sharp and don't yank them in super quick.

Makes sense! Sounds like a good practice. Thanks!

Ive never been spearing myself, but have to agree with the previous posts- how is it different if you have a tip-up? Granted you can pull the hook and release, but spearers can also NOT drop the spear. I am extremely intrigued with the thought of spearing but with a hand auger and all those holes to drill- Ill stick to 2 holes and dropping a line haha.

I remember those old anti-spearing issues of Outdoor News. they had a bunch of photos saying something like "these fish were speared" and had a bunch guys with their eyes blacked out holding fish. I think they also found a way to blame every problem with fishing on the spearers. Outdoor News is now under different ownership. If I was just out to kill Northerns, I am sure I could kill more with tip-ups than from a spearhouse.

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
I would imagine if the fish is not struggling and its pinned to the bottom there would be no losing the fish.

Sounds like a safe way not to lose the pig!

that is why when they make the spears, they make tins on the inside of the big tins, so then the fish cant come off. Not saying that it cant, but shouldnt.