• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Landing a big Pike or Muskie

Alan

I have never caught a big pike, but I am hoping that someday soon that will change. But when I see pictures or video's on someone catching a big pike or muskie, I see them lift the fish out of the water or for a picture with their hand up under the fishes gills/jaw.

Couple questions here.

1.Shoving your hand up there in the fishes gills/under jaw, does this not injure them? or your own fingers/hand for that matter?

2. What would the preferred method for landing a big pike or muskie, for as not to injure the fish or your self?

I only ask these questions because I have always caught snakes or the hammer handle pikes or slightly bigger where I can just grab them out of the water by grabbing behind their head. But this year I am purposely going after the big pike, and I don't want to shove my fingers up under their gills if it's going to do any harm to the fish or my self when I bring it into the boat.

Could someone shed a little light on this for me?

Thanks, from a big pike newbie...

here's a few thing I would do...

It's definetely a whole new ballgame handling bigger fish.

Having a very large net is very important. Unhooking the fish while they are in the net, and still in the water, is best for the fish and also best for yourself in terms of avoiding injury.

I would always keep a pair of the longest pliers possible, the first time you look into that 38+ Musky's mouth, you will understand why you need them. Hook cutters are also another good thing to have, every so often you get in that position where you just can't quite reach the hook, this can save you from injury and speed up the process of releasing the fish.

It's also a good idea to use a glove, especially when you are new to handling bigger fish. This will not harm the fish and will also protect your hands.

When holding the fish, make sure the thumb on the outside of the jaw is tight to the fish, when holding them for a picture this can prevent you from dropping them on the bottom of the boat if they don't want to sit nice and behave for the photo.

This stuff becomes easier with experience...

no it doesn't injure the fish or you if it is done properly. make sure you aren't lifting them by the red part of their gills, slide your fingers behind the actual gills and plant your thumb firmly UNDER their jaw. make sure you are ALWAYS supporting the rest of the fish[about half way back] with your other hand. this way it doesn't put all their weight on their neck and head[bad]. and if your a little shook up about putting your fingers in the gills use a good rubber glove or buy one of those fish gloves. as far as landing em, get em to the net as quickly as possible, keep the net in the water and unhook them over the edge of the boat. this way, if it takes awhile you can dunk them back in the water to get them a few breaths. when you take them out for a picture, try for 30 seconds max, they say fish can hold their breath out of water as long as we can hold our breath under water. any longer MAY hurt the fish. better to be safe than sorry. if you hold a fish out of the water for 2 minutes and it swims away, that doesn't mean it will live. i just think it's better to try and preserve the resource than get a dozen pictures. hope this helps and good luck.

The gill covers are pretty tough and actually can open to where there is a good distance between the gill cover and the delicate gills.

Actually you can start getting a feel for it with even the small pike. I grab just behind the head but slide my fingers just under the gill cover on one side and my thumb on the other. They tend to hold their mouth open a little more like that, plus it's just overall a better grip. You can also unhook through the gills if you are really careful.

Looking at photos on resorts and other boards pike often appear to be mishandled. Often there is quite a bit of blood running down the side of the fish, which should never really happen. Also don't lift the fish by the net, I imagine that leads to a lot of the torn fins you see.

I go no gloves. They wouldn't be my hands if they weren't beat up in some way shape or form. I even pull the mouth open with my bare hand (the front lip protrudes just enough that you can push without hitting those small front teeth). Out of hundreds if not thousands of fish the gill rakers have gotten me once and I've been hit with a single tooth. Never even managed to hook myself, though I just jinxed that.

There is an ongoing debate about when to net a big fish. One side argues the longer the fight the the more chance of lactic acid build up and stress to the fish, especially in hot weather. The other side argues most damage is done when a green fish is netted and brought into the boat. The net rips the fins and protective slime is scrapped off leading to infection. A flopping fish in a net can tangle and make getting the hook out harder.

I try not to net a large pike unless it is my personal best and I have to have to get a photo. I play them until they sit still at boatside but not belly up. This gives me time to get the camera and pliers. If no photo is needed I use the pliers at boat side whenever possible. If you let the fish rest at boat side for any amount of time he will flop on you so keep him moving.

I would suggest practicing the hold on fish you intend to keep and get the feel of it on a dead fish. You'll be picking them up without a net in no time.

One more thing. Never pull the lure toward you(with craddles you almost always are) and when you go to grab the gill plate come in from behind the head-if the fish bolts you wont get hooked. Hans

I got to tell ya, what a great site this is. You get all the information you asked for and need, and then some. Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate it. I'm gonna get myself one of those lindy fish gloves.

Now if Northern opener would just get here...

One more thing about big fish. If you are using heavy musky tackle your gear will be stonger than the fishes flesh. If the hook isn't in bone a big fish an just swim away tearing its lip loose. I've watched many fish tear loose at boatside when drag is tight and no stretch braids are used,fish I'm sure would have been landed with stretchy mono. If you are in open water don't worry about getting the fish to the boat quickly ease him in until you can see you have a good hookset then whip him. Hans

Alan, glad the guys could help! Pick up a good long nose pair of pliers too! They're not expensive, but basically a must-have.

Same goes for the jaw spreaders, I try not to use them but if it's a multi treble lure and it's inhaled, they can be a life saver! I mean that literally for the fish, a spreaders can help make quick work of a tough hook-up.

Chris

Landed so many pike, big, small..mean an nasty...plenty big ski also in my day I have dislocated my right thumb 100's of times.

So much so I have a plastic right thumb knuckel 15 years now.

\:\)

Best way...Get a net.

In winter thumb locks up tight...only good for holding ice rod, sandwich or my lil Herman.

\:\)

T.