• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse TV

lookingforluck

I've seen both 12v and 120 V ac. Personally I use 120 v AC type, much cheaper. If you don't want to run a generator all day and night, just get an inverter and power it off your battery.

I run the TV off the inverter during the prime time fishing hours, and run the generator during the day to charge the batteries get the TV for free.

I bought a Sharp 20" flatscreen a few weeks ago to use in my wheelhouse & It actually is a 12 volt tv that has a converter with it so you can use 110 volt to power it. I hooked it up to 12 volt in the wheelhouse. I have a 40 amp power supply in the house so when I start the gen it charges the batts plus runs all of the stuff. So far it has worked great.

I checked into this and DTV dot gov says that if you get very good reception with analog TV you should be able to receive digital just fine. If not you will likely need a new antenna. Of course you will need a tv that has a digital tuner or a converter box. They are putting up repeater stations to account for the shorter signal distance so it may be hit or miss depending on where you are. I think this will be like when cell phones were first getting to be a big thing. A lot of holes in coverage. Given all of this I hooked up a dish to the fish house and love it.

By the way some flat screen TV's are DC with a converter to convert from 115AC to DC. If you find one that is 12VDC your set. If not just use an inverter. Try to buy a TV that has the lower watt rating you can find to save on battery.

i have a new emerson flat panel lcd hdtv in my wheelhouse and with the standard attenae i am able to get 6 hdtv channels that are broadcast on the L channel "lakeland tv" the reception is superb. What i understand is this is how all the stations will be broadcasting their signal after february 2009. Being able to receive the new digital signal will only be a problem for the tv's that dont have a digital tuner in them.

That's correct 3pronghook.

To say that if you can receive analog you should be able to receive digital is a bit of a stretch. You'll need a good line-of-sight from your receiving antenna to the transmitting antenna. This will be tough to achieve on the outlaying areas, especially at lake level below the trees and the surrounding terrain. Sure it's fine if you're not that far from the transmitter, but get out 45-60 miles and you'll need a mighty tall antenna and that's if you're not trying to "shoot through" any hills between you and the transmitter. If you're that far out or further, then a satellite may be the only reliable way to watch your favorite TV show (converter box not needed with satellite).

Originally Posted By: dmengel
I bought a Sharp 20" flatscreen a few weeks ago to use in my wheelhouse & It actually is a 12 volt tv that has a converter with it so you can use 110 volt to power it. I hooked it up to 12 volt in the wheelhouse. I have a 40 amp power supply in the house so when I start the gen it charges the batts plus runs all of the stuff. So far it has worked great.

were did you get this tv???

mediocrates, from my understanding you would still need A antenna, not necassarily the one you currently have. Not sure if the one you have will pick all of the signals. At least that is how I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

i use a 19" LCD tv with built in DVD (walmart special), i run it off of an inverter from late afternoon until bed time. i do run a generator for 3 or 4 hours during the mid-day to recharge the batteries. with 2 marine batteries running the inverter and tv/dvd i can get 6+ hours of 110 to run the tv/dvd.

i also installed a hd/boosted antennae (from walmart, $40), depending on the position of the house i can get 6+ channels. my antennae isn't easily adjustable. friend of mine has the same, mounted on an adjustable pole and gets 10+ channels.

I would like to get satellite for the house... The dish I was loooking at is a dome looking deal... Spendy though, about $800 if I remember right. But then I don't have to aim it when I set my wheel house up.... If I get a regular dish how hard/easy is it to aim the attena??

I have a roof mount crank up dish on the motor home and it is quite easy to adjust. I use a sat finder signal meter and compass to help make it quick and easy. They are around $30 at radio shack. A roof mount crank up is about $300.

I use a portable dish with suction cup mount for the fish house. I stick it to the hood of the truck and it is also quite easy to adjust. That dish setup I think was $100.00 but that was several years ago. You can also get a portable dish with a tripod you place on the ice. There are many options for far less than the auto dish you mentioned but if your willing to pay the extra for a little more conveinience that will work quite well.

Good luck.