• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Testing Baits

Daze Off

I always hear that you should take your baits to a pool and test them out to make sure they run true or to see what action they have or how they respond to rod movements, etc.

My question then is, doesn't that ruin the bait you are testing with all the pool chemicals on it? And is there any bad interaction between softbaits like Powerbait, Gulp, or 3X and the pool chemicals?

Anyone know? Not a big deal to sacrifice one soft plastic but could get expensive with cranks...

I can't imagine the chems in a pool hurting a bait too badly. I mean if it does, then what would it be doing to our bodies? Maybe it would make it smell bad, just like a person smells of chlorine after swimming, but it seems like that would be the biggest effect.

On that note, did anyone see the Kennedy / Velvick piece during the BASS Classic weigh in? Velvick was working some swimbaits in a pool and showed Kennedy how to twitch a swimbait to make it turn around. Kinda like you've seen sunfish run from a predator and then flip around to look at the chasing fish. It was pretty freaking cool.

I am getting a few of the "new original" wiggle warts and want to compare them to the old original warts. Anybody got a pool I could use? \:\)

Fuker -

Yeah it was the chlorine that I was specifically thinking about - has to be a turn-off for fish and not sure you could wach it off easily not to mention that long term effect on hooks and hangers.

Hardly different than handling a bait after filling the gas tank or checking the oil without carefully cleaning hands...

On the other subject - I saw that too - it was awesome! I could not believe he could make it do that!

I just bought a couple of Wiggle O's - same deal on the pool!

I test baits a lot in the pool. What I make sure to do is rinse them VERY WELL after I'm done to make sure I've gotten the Chlorine off them so they don't corrode.

I missed the swimbait piece, I need to check the Tivo for when Espn2 is reshowing day 4 so I can record it.

Flucker-

I have used a lot of both the new and old mag warts, but don't like the new originals at all. Other than having a much higher pitched rattle, they are also very hard to tune because the line tie breaks loose from the molded lip after some use and the bait is bassically done for. I still use them and have a ton of the (about 35), but wouldn't have so many if they would last longer. The old ones are flawless though for prespawn bass.

Just got back from working the classic expo last night. That swimbait is made in Calf. I don't remember the name but they had them in the Tackle Warehouse booth with an unbelivable video rolling. The guy was swinging 8 pounders in the boat. It was wild.