• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How To Use A Leech Lake Knife?

Spazzums08

You use the back side to make the cut from the back of the head to the belly. The purpose for this is to not have the use the front of the blade cutting through the scales. Then use the front of the knife to remove the fillet without cutting through the bones.

Spazzums, thanks for bringing this up. I've wondered the same thing.

Originally Posted By: fishorgolf
You use the back side to make the cut from the back of the head to the belly. The purpose for this is to not have the use the front of the blade cutting through the scales. Then use the front of the knife to remove the fillet without cutting through the bones.

ForG, thanks for the info. How do you remove the fillet without cutting through the bones? I always remove the fillet with the ribs, and then cut the ribs off the fillet by sliding the knife blade between the ribs and meat. I'm interested to know how you do it. Thanks!

the difference is ; instead of pushing the blade completely through the body, you stop when you feel the tip hit the ribs. then you work your way towards the tail following the spine, til you get past the ribs. then push the blade through and cut to the tip of the tail.( or you can cut the fillet completely off too)i leave mine attached, so that once i have it fillet, i can just flip it over and cut off the skin.

you go back and kind of peel the meat away as you cut it off/over the ribs. it only takes a few tries to get it.

hope this helps! del

It can be tough to do it that way on some of the metro panfish, but if you want to practice it, they really help you nail it down. I fillet every fish that I keep without the ribs, the way delmuts described. Usually it is my buddy and I cleaning fish, he is a lefty and I am a righty, so when it comes time to remove them from the skin, he does the left side fillets and I do the rights. We have it pretty well mastered. I am still waiting to get a leech lake knife, but it is on the top of the list of things I would love to have.

I never cut through the bones but if I am filleting allot of fish (eg. canada) with someone who can not go around the ribs without destroying the fillets I always have a spare knife that they can use for this so as not to dull up my good ones. Or get and electric knife. I was very slow to try one but once you do and get the hang of it they are invaluable when you have tons of fish to clean.

Yes, if you are going to cut through the ribs use the backside, the roll it over and use the front for skinning. If you use these knives right you will only neeed to sharpen them once a year. Don has a booth at the sportsmans show and you bring it in and he'll sharpen it up for a small fee. I always found it was a great excuse to go to the show too!

Tunrevir~

You use the backside of the knife to cut through the scales, and make your initial cuts by the gills and down the back. Thus saving the sharp main blade for the delicate work of cutting the fillet off the fish. You use the backside to cut through the scales, so it saves the main blade for the more delicate work.

Make the cut (with the backside) down the spine, flip the knife over and cut down along the spine, you will eventually run into the ribs. Ah, heck. There are some really great fillet videos out on youtube, check those out if you have questions. I wish one could post links around here.

I think you can post a link to a youtube video in here as long as it is legitimate and is not advertising for anything in particular. If you check the video sharing forum, there are some guidelines in there, but this one might warrant a vid post here.

Quote:
Shiner, buy me a knife and I will make the video.

I tried to use that same technique on my fiance, and she got a good laugh out of it grin.gif

I did find places online to purchase them by just searching