• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venting power auger fumes!

storm_rider_1

Any ideas on venting the fumes from a power auger. some type of hose that connects to the exhaust, and runs out door or window. any ideas would be great, sick of holding my breath when drilling holes in the permanant. I was thinking of rigging up that silver dryer hose stuff?

thanks

What powe auger do you have?

Strike Master at one time had a exhaust kit that attached to a 2hp engine. If you have a 3hp engine it would be difficult to attach a exhaust tube to the engine.

Give Strike Master a call.

What powe auger do you have?

Strike Master at one time had a exhaust kit that attached to a 2hp engine. If you have a 3hp engine it would be difficult to attach a exhaust tube to the engine.

Give Strike Master a call.

Stormrider: I am sure hoping that they do sell a kit. I didn't know that they offered one at one time. I was thinking of getting an electric for the shack but would much rather vent the gas than spend another 350.00. I will be watching this post closely. If they don't sell one , let us know how you design one. I think they would sell like hotcakes on a cold saturday morning. That could be a good business venture for someone like you. I will be the first to order one from ya.. LOL

The electric seems like a good idea, but I am a broke collage kid, and the only reason I have a power auger, is on of my fishing buddies got transfored to a school in ohio, and he sold me his auger for cheap. Now with the electric does it have a battery or do you need to carry a 12 volt with you, how many holes do you get off of one charge?

Mine is hooked with jumper cables to your car battety or a deep cycle. You can also use a 4 wheeler or whatever. Off a deep cycle battery in 2 ft. of ice you can cut roughly 7-8 holes before the cables and motor gets to hot, let it cool down and you can cut more later.

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

What's the matter is the door broke on your shack? lol. There is not great way that I know of to fix that problem. I just drill them quick and then leave the door and windows open to air out. Electric would be the best but then these are slow any you are limited to where you can go with them. My dad had one and I would rather choke on 2 cycle fumes than use it.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Warming up the auger well outside of the shack before you begin drilling inside will help. Once you get the auger properly warmed up, idling smoothly, and the choke fully off it should smoke less.

Cleaner burning oil as mentioned mixed at the proper rate will also help. If you mix 1 gallon at a time at just bellow the recommended rate then add the recommended StA-BIL to the fuel it also tends to smoke less. Mixing partial batches without completely using up the fuel will get the mixture off. Peoples tendency are to add more oil then they should just to be safe. Mix a smaller batch and use it entirely up before mixing another. A rolling mixture will get too strong or too weak.

Maintain the ignition system. A good plug can go a long way to solve many problems on an ice auger. Spark plugs are cheap and are largely responsible for poor ignition and excess smoking. Get a premium NKG plug for your auger at the beginning of the season and keep a spare. Very cheap insurance for lasting performance.

Maintain the cutting surfaces. Poor cutting surfaces Will make the drill time longer and make the auger work far harder. Maintain them and the overall performance of the auger will improve.

Letting the air clear in the shack is always wise. So keeping the door open while drilling is unavoidable and necessary. If you have eliminated the causes of excess smoking you shouldn't need much air out time before your fishing.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-10-2003).]

Sounds like good tips Eddy, I will try the smokeless oil and more warmup.

I bought one of those kits from Stikemaster, it vents out the gas, but it also leaves oil spots on your walls, the oil in the smoke condenses on the muffler attachement and then it starts splattering on your walls. Not good and kind of a mess. I took it off and now I just open the door and windows wide open.

here is what skrikemaster said:

Dear Nick,

Thank you for your e-mail. We used to sell the External Exhaust kit for the 2 h.p. but it only fits on the Delta Wing Handles. We have just a few left and they are $39.95 + $8.00 for shipping and handling. It will not fit on the new Tufflite Handles. The reason you don't see it on our HSOforum is because we no longer sell them. So if your powerhead has the Delta Wing handles and you want to purchase one, you can call and order one over the phone with a credit card.

Sincerely,
StrikeMaster Corp.
763-263-8999
M-F 8-5 CST

Wont work on mine, so I guess I am going to try the smokeless oil, and leave the door and window open.

Strike master (i think) has a new thing out right now.has some sort of a hose that clamps onto the muffler.so you can put the hose right out side..

Call pat at thorne Bro. and ask him about it
he realy knows his stuff

I just picked up my exhaust kit from thorn bro's
and i have to say that it looks pretty dam cool
Im pretty excited about it..Pat at thorn bro's talked me into the strike master and orderd me a external exhuast it for it..he oredered i think 6 of them they cam in yesterday and i guess a few have sold already..he put one on a jiffy and it seemd to fet pretty well its in there display.

Any how it has a mettal adapter that screws onto the muffler and has a hose that has a littel coupler on it and it simpy turns on with about a 1/4 turn..Its very easy to take on and off..and whats realy cool about it if your drilling out side the adapeter turns the exhaust well away from you... It cost me about 30 bucks i beleive...if yea want one get ahold of pat he will know all about it...

good luck and

BRING ON THE ICE!!!!!