• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip up line?

Braided line works real well for tip-ups. Dacron line. I always add a 4 foot section of Berkley Vanish or other flourocarbon to the end of my walleye tip-up lines. You can used mono on tip-ups but its harder to see on the ice and tougher to pull up hand over hand. When pike fishing with tip-ups, I've found in that past that the line hasn't made a real big difference. I've used thick black colored line, I've used nearly invisible line, and a lot inbetween, and they all caught pike. I've had good success with Gudenbrod (sp?) in the past for pike. It's a plastic coated line that is easy to see and pull hand over hand. Also doesn't freeze up and has great durabilty. A lot of tackle shops will have a variety of tip-up lines. I'm sure others here will have more advice too.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum

Yup, try using the "black stuff" that MJ mentions. I like 50 lb myself, especially when battling super gator jacks.

ALso, Might want to try using a wood-plank style tip-up. Yes, your hole might get some snow in it or might even freeze, but if using a tip-correctly, you should be adjusting and checking things on a on going basis. At that time you can free up your ice hole.

Nothing agains round rigs, just what I like using.

Can't wait!

Keep the rods bendin' and the flags flyin' high!!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 11-06-2003).]

On bitter cold days, set your tip up in, then cover the hole with snow. It wont freeze into a clear solid piece of sheet ice involving chiseling them out. Helps in light reduction if you believe in that. Avoids spooking fish and breaking tip ups with your boot heel or chisel. Man, I have a "graveyard" of broke poles and tip ups in the garage! Someday I'll need them for something....I just know it! grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I agree with the braided dacron line. I tried some coated waterproof line and it didn't roll off the spool well. I think the fish could feel it and would drop the bait. As for covering the holes in bitter weather, take a piece of cardboard larger than the hole, cut a hole in the center for the tip-up rod that goes down the hole and cut a slit from the edge to the center. Slide the cardboard over the rod to the center before setting it down over the ice hole. If you paint the cardboard flat black before using, it will absorb any sunlight there is and help keep the hole open.
One more tip-up trick for Northerns. I make up plastic coated metal leaders complete with the hooks. I roll them up and store them in a plastic container that 3M electrical tape comes in. That way they don't get tangled together or get kinks from wrapping them on the tip-ups.

I've used them all, and am going back to simple 20 lb mono on my pike and laker tip-ups.

It can get stiff, but braided lines can absorb water and freeze into long pieces of spaghetti.

I still have some braided and coated lines on a coule tips, but that will come off as it wears out.

Simple is best.

You'll also have less problem with curling if you spool the spool just about to the max. It curls harder and tighter the closer you get to the core because the spool gets smaller and smaller.

The Frabills, which are one of my two all-time favorites, have fairly small spools. The good old standard Polar HTs, with the larger spool option, are quite a lot bigger, and I've had few problems with curled line.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-06-2003).]

I will tell you guys what I use and then you can tell me that I am crazy because all my buddies do but it works for me. Now I only use tip ups for Northerns so this is what I use. What you do is you go to the local hardware store and you to the tool section, then you find there construction (masonry) string lines and rig your set-up up. I use bright orange or yellow so that it is easy to locate when setting or catching fish with a tip up. Everyone says that it is to heavy or to noticable but I know that I catch as many fish as my friends that fish with me. Plus I don't use a leader of any type. It is tough to bet in my opinion.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I hear you. Pike just don't care if school keeps or not. They'll take most anything they want.

I've used that string. Same stuff as what's in chalk lines and plumb bobs in carpentry. Doesn't that string soak up the water?? I'd guess it'd freeze solid in less than a minute in really cold weather??

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I love to catch big LOTW Pikes, they're also the only fish I target with tip-ups up here. I'd say the best stuff, imho for Pike fishing anyways, is braided nylon. Mainly because braided dacron lines absorb water, and braided nylon line does not. Knot strength is much better with braided nylons too.

You can get braided nylon in uncoated, as well as some vinyl coated versions. I prefer the uncoated stuff myself. That coated stuff works very well when it good and fresh, but the coating deteriorates, cracks, and gets harder with time. Black color of most braided nylon tip-up lines sticks out against the color of ice pretty well too.

I agree with stf in regards to the bigger spools on the polar HT tipups and the ease of line handling they provide.

fiskyknut

I am sorry, I know that this is kinda off topic, but when you guys mention tip-ups for walleyes I am just curious as to how successful you guys are with the technique? I am an avid eye' angler and I sit in a house sometimes and jig for those darn things all day with no avail... What do you guys put on tip-ups when targeting eyes? Do you put them on breaks, or humps or something? Any tips or hints would be great regarding tip-ups for walleyes!! Good luck to everyone and thanx for the help!

Moses,
Like usual, it all depends on what type of water your targeting "eyes".

SOmetimes I use tip-ups to gauge when the fish are moving in shallower or onto certain structure, while staying deeper with the jigging gear.

Certain bodies of water, strategically placing a tip-up, tipped with shiner, around a submerged rock pile or sunken island is deadly.

Then again, I have fished some North Central Flowages in Wisconsin where the walleyes will only touch tip-up rigs and in 4 or less feet of water.

If you know your water, no the forage base, key in to where the forage plans to hide for the night! ON the edge of weedlines, sharp drops, rock shore, piles Islands etc. All are good places for tip-up use.

Generally, evening and morning hours for walleye-tip up action and daytime for JACKS!!!!

This is just the tip of places to set-up tip-ups!

(again, there is more and I am sure you'll hear some!)

Keep the rods bendin' and the flags flyin' high!!!

Jim W

Moses:

Think of a tip-up for 'eyes as just another deadstick or bobber rod, and put it where you'd normally fish for 'eyes. The type of rig doesn't dictate where on the structure you put it. In other words, put it in a slightly different place on the structure than where you're jigging. If you're jigging the top of a hump/bar, put the tip on the edge, etc. Use it to make a subtle presentation away from where you're actively fishing to cover all your bases.

In Wis., it's three ice lines total, in N.D, four, in Minn., only two.

When I'm after 'eyes with tips, I rig it with a bare hook back-hooked through the minnow just behind the dorsal and weighted with a couple split shot two feet up (in clear water) or with a glow-jig and no other weight and back-hooked minnow (in darker water).

I also put small bells on the flag shaft and stick on reflector tape, so I can hear the flag and see it in my headlamp.

Good luck. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Jim, do you fish the Willow, Turtle Flambeau, Big Eau Pleine, or Wisconsin River flowages? I fish these, all in N central Wi. I know what you mean about tip-up depth, 6' is max depth set on most of these waters, 2-4' is the norm. Early ice, lowlight hours, and shallow water and the ability to fish 3 lines = lots of fish and lots of lines! I have a few friends that are Ojibwa from Lac Du Flambeau. I'm not going to mention how many lines they set out, that's a whole different thread.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck