• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Total Lunar Eclipse, Feb. 20th

gopher_nation

This Wednesday night there will be a total lunar eclipse. It will be completely visible in our part of the country. Looks like the whole thing will take place between 7:43pm and 11:09pm, with the total eclipse lasting from 9:01pm to 9:51pm. As long as you have a view of the moon it is visible from anywhere if the clouds aren't too thick.

Should be cool to show kids, and to photograph.

More info is at: http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2008Feb21/TLE2008Feb21.html

It was crystal clear here in the Windy City and a great show for ole Luna! It was so clear that it did not actually darken out the moon as much as I thought. I was expecting to see just the rim in reddish/orange but you could actually see the moon still even during the peak eclipse time. Still cool to see!

Windy

We live in the trees, and even with the leaves off, we were still somewhat blocked from it.

Soooooo.... I made popcorn, we grabbed drinks and got the kids in the minivan. Drove down to the local swamp / river that runs through Carlos Avery and pulled off in the parking area.

Told the kids martian stories and watched the moon disappear while chomping down the popcorn.

It was a blast, until the 3 year old dumped his bowl of popcorn in the van...

Did anyone see the quick glimpse of the satellite before it got blasted last night? It was supposed to be visible for a very short time around 6:40. Just a quick streak I would imagine. It would have been cooler to see the missile strike.

DD