• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bed liner material in canoes?

Has anyone tinkered with using truck bed liner material on canoes? I have a 15' aluminum that needs some kind of coating. I'm gonna go with either homemade camo on the outside grin.gif or ???? For the inside I can leave it alone or am curious about those coating options. Any feedback/experiences would be great, thanks.

I talked to a guy that applies Rhino Linning about putting it inside my 14' Aluminum boat that leaks like crazy and he said that it would add about 50lbs. I wasn't going to do this because that boat is slow enough with 2 guys in it and only a 8h.p. I think that they put Rhino lining on very thick (1/4") and other brands are thinner. That is all I know about it.

I agree that the rino lining would add alot of weight. Heres a thought thou. Don't know if this will work but worth a check on it. The garage floor paint that you can get at home dep.ot, that has the flexs in it. Its tough and might adhere to the canoe, don't know but maybe.

I put some stuff that is used to seal up trailer house roofs on a 14 ft boat. I put it on about 5 or 6 years ago and the boat still dont leak but I do not remember what it was called. Its silver in color and it has a rough texture. It came in a gallon can.

I have used the store version of the Rhino lining on several of my duck boats. It does add a little weight 5-10lbs and it does an excellent job of sealing up loose rivets and other minor leaks. Adds nice traction to for those late season hunts.

Dan

I used it on my 12ft aluminum boat and it sucked.

I ended up selling the boat because it was to much work to remove it.

it was a dark color and you cooked in the sun.

if it was a light color it may be ok. it did make it a little quieter.

mr. walleye just wondering if the dark color making it hot was the only thing bad about it. When you say it sucked, that makes me think that there were lots of problems with it...just wondering what other problems people have had with it b/f i put it in.

Just the dark color being hot. like REAL HOT!. I burnt my foot so bad it blistered. other than that it was nice for traction in the rain. but I would rather have carpet. If you can get it in a light color it would be OK. also if you do put it in use an etching primer on the aluminum first or it will peel. it is urethane so it is heavy. put it on thin. when it gets tacky roll over it with the roller to give it a little more texture. just remove the excess product from the roller before doing this step. you just have to get the timing rite on that part to get it to make the bumps.

Good Luck!

I'm assuming you were primarily interested in using a truck liner to reduce the noise factor in your aluminum canoe.

A light and inexpensive option is the closed cell bed rolls sold in camping departments. They can be easily cut to size and you'll find that just a few well placed sections on the bottom of your canoe will make you much quieter on the water. Another that I've used is pipe insulation ... works great on thwarts.

at wal-mart they have generic bed liner material in spray paint cans and they have white available, cheap way to do it if you just need one or two cans for a lite coat

??? as far as a chemical remover i don't know of any but if you are going to apply new paint just take a sander or a scotch brite pad and scuff up the surface so the new paint will adhear. if you want it bare bones aluminum you may need to find a media blaster or sandblaster who would do it for you.