• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum vs. Vexilar

riverbasher

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I ran both units last winter. They both have their good points.

If anyone says one is better than the other without knowing how you want to use it and what your preferences are, then they don't know both units as well as they should, before answering.

The Vexilar will likely have some problems with IR when a Marcum is close. The Marcum has more power. It's unlikely the Marcum will have a problem when the Vexilar or another Marcum is close.

The Marcum display is much crisper and the unit doesn't have the constant buzz a vexilar gives out. If you've had a Marcum LX3 side by side with a Vexilar, you'll definitely know what I mean.

The Marcum's adjustable zoom also allows you to be more flexible with respect to suspended fish.

Vexilar has three distinctive colors on their flasher, I like that. Their customer service is exemplory. They also have a long track record of producing good reliable units.

Vexilar offers choices in cone angle. This can be a nice benefit when fishing sloping structure vs flats or shallow water vs deeper water.

I was more familiar with the controls of the FL-18 so that was easier for me at first. It didn't take long and the Marcum was a piece of cake too.

There are also a LOT of Vexilar users out their. It's a good unit and they'll defend it to the end. Can't blame them one bit. I was the same way.

What you really need is opinions from those who have thoroughly tested both units.

I'm lucky, I can use both units. It's very helpful in the varying conditions I fish.

I do have to repeat, if you haven't used a Marcum extensively, you really don't know how nice they are. I also agree the Vexilars a nice also.

I feel comfortable recommending either. You really can't go wrong with either unit. They are both good. It just depends on what you need and like.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-27-2003).]

Well put Rick. It all depends on the individual. Test out both and see what you think. Spend a little time figuring out the background info on each. When spending a few hundred bucks you wanna make sure you get what you want.

Good Fishin,
Matt

esoxouous.....I mistook your handle for another very similar handle. With 23 posts, you must be a different person. The other esox guy surely saw all that was in here last winter. Yep, there's some real good comparisons to read alright. You make the call.....I'm a Vex lover. When it makes "the noise", it tends to keep me awake on those slow days. Without "the noise", I'd probably miss alot of fish.....

Vexilar is the way to go. I use an FL-8 and I've used an FL-18 as well. Both very nice units. I would go with the 18 if you are to buy a new one. I purchased my 8 before the 18 came out and haven't upgraded yet. I know you can run two Vexilars next to each other using the IR feature. I've fished with friends that own Marcum and we haven't experienced too many problems but there is a little more interference. I haven't fished next to someone with the new Marcum though so I don't know how that works.

I would get some more opinions before you decide. Different people like different things.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any other questions or want some more info on eithe Vexilar or Marcum.

[email protected]

Good Fishin,
Matt

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 09-26-2003).]

I have a F-18 and love it. No problems at all with the above break down from Rick. Like the "constant buzz a Vexilar gives out", I and several fishing buddys do not experience that at all.
I do no some people that have gone back to a Vexilar from a Marcum. To each his own I guess.

The MarCum will ID more fish plain and simple. I've run them both and it's a no brainer ask anyone who's owned both units and you'll get your answer. The other advantage is noise reduction...you get far less noise with MarCum. Put em side by side and see which unit ID's more fish.

Great info here guys! I am in the market too for a new flasher. I do not know if you all can wait until the St. Paul Ice Fishing and Winter Sports Show in December, but that would be a great place to compare both models and maybe get a better deal??

Smallmouth,
Yeah, the Sports Show will have them at a lower price and you can see them up close. Plus you can talk directly to a sales rep of each model. But we might have ice by then and fish might be floppin wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

I've only seen the MarCum flasher once on the water. I was impressed with it. Richard Smith (Catch-N Tackle pro staff director) was also very impressed. He had the front of the boat... and was like "a kid with a new toy" opperating it. He was fishing tiny 1/64 oz. jigs in 27' of water. Every once in a bit he'ld yell out... watch this... here he comes... wham! Got ya!
WELL...
Last week while shopping at Cabela's Retail Store in Owatonna, I had fishing department rep. Scott Robbins, show me the MarCum VS 400 & 500 under-water camera system and the MarCum LX 3 flasher.
Scott spent plenty of time with me explaining all the how-to's & what-for's for each unit. I was impressed with his knowledge and understanding of both the units.

I have now made the move to MarCum!

I have ordered both these units.... and figure I will be "sitting pretty" come this ice season.
What got me "hooked" was Scott telling how he "sets-up" in his ice house to see two lines at once. And how he gets a thrill picking his fish by looking at the camera seeing BOTH holes, and his MarCum flasher at the same time! Thinking of this and of my two boys, it dawned on me how much fun my kids will have looking at this camera.
Scott equated it as like a real life fishing video game... that I know my kids will enjoy! Well, ok... I'll love it too smile.gif !

I like being able to capture the action on video tape and being able to know what direction the lense is pointed. That is great... way 2 cool!
New toys!
NOW, I AM REALLLLLY PUMPED... I am cleaning out the garage this morning and pulling out ALL the ice gear. And... ordering myself NEW BOOTS! I am going to be R E A D Y. So, bring on that ice.

Go ahead fish... make my winter!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

I use an FL-18 with a Marcum OVS 400. I'm a vexilar-marcum guy all the way. Wish I had the 500 camera so I could see which way it is pointing. I saw the lowrance unit at Gander last weekend. It looked O.K. I don't think it matters much which one you choose. Either way you catch more fish. I think I would be bummed if the camera died while fishing, it's addictive watching what's under the ice.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Here is a short video , produced by Fish Fever media, of a little of what you can expect to see with a Marcum OVS500.

They are entertaing and you do learn from these units.

Marcum Underwater Viewing Systems Clip - Click Here.

I used the OVS 500 a lot last winter and it is a pretty nice underwater camera. I really liked the rotational feature, made things a lot easier. I had it out one weekend fishing for gills. The fish came through in schools and it was neat to see one show up...then two...and then 30. You also learn a lot about how your jig moves incoordination with your rod movements. You see bites that you wouldn't see by the rod or line. It was also cool to see bigger fish swim by following the schools of fish.

If affordable, an underwater camera is a great tool for ice fishing.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 09-30-2003).]

I am a Vex FL18 owner and I love it BUT....I have also seen/used the Marcum unit and LOVED IT. I found the Marcum's screen to be clearer and easier on the eyes. I also liked the fact that the Marcum unit allowed me to zoom in on different areas besides the last six feet. This is a nice option but I didnt use it very much...not something I really need. The Marcum does make less noise, but the hum the Vex gives off is no big deal...I hardly notice it.

I have used both units side by side and didnt have any problems. I have also used my FL18 next to an FL8 and had no problems. I did have problems once when I was using my 18 next to the Marcum unit and a FL8...strange but true.

I am also looking forward to any reviews of the new Lowrance unit...it looks sharp.

The bottom line is to test all the units and find one that best fits your needs. I still love my FL18.....

It was 25 degrees this morning in Moorhead, MN. I can feel winter is just around the corner...BRING ON THE COLD!!!!!!!!!!YIPPIEEEEE

I may be qualified to answer this question. Last year I ran an Fl-18 and the LX-3 side by side. This year I am running 2 LX-3's.

On my tournament boat I ran and FL-18 and and LX-3. While boath have there good points, I am running dual LX-3's next year. Both on the ice and on my Ranger.

The LX-3 is much crisper and after a day of starring at it, you will know why. They both mark fish well, but the LX-3 seems to have better seperation. The LX-3 can run side by side with any other flasher and you can tune out the interference. This is a major problem with the Vexilar. In my boat, I can run my Lowrance and the LX-3 without a problem.

You are doing the right thing by doing the research in advance. Both units will fit your needs. I just feel the MarCum has a few advantages over Vexilar.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I agree with Scott on this one. I run my LX-3 and my Lowrance graph off the transom simultaneously. Nice to see what the flasher and graph interpret as targets. I'm not one to manually adjust my graph and the LX-3 picks up many of the the details my graph misses. As far as Ice fishing, I love the LX-3.

I have an 18 and its a nice unit,but I fished alongside a Marcum LX3 last season and was very impressed.It picked up fish that my 18 was missing.I like the three color display on the 18 but the Marcum is a lot crisper and I think it makes easier to pick out targets.I also liked the fact that when the fish suspended way off the bottom the Marcum could zoom at the level of the fish.That in itself is a big selling point to me.I won't get rid of my 18 but if I am going to be in the market for a new unit,I am going to look hard at the LX3.

Good honest discussion here, I have used the FL-8 for years, the FL-18 for a season and now the Marcum LX3. I loved the FL-8 but new there were fish on the bottom that I wasn't marking. The FL-18 did a much better job. I really do love the fish marking capabilities on the LX3 and the sharp read. I've used the OVS 500 and wouldn't be without the turning mechanism. I didn't realize how much I'd use it fishing in a portable but I do all the time.

Ron Anlauf

What cone angle(s) are available for the high speed ducer for the LX-3?

I know these units are powerful,very powerful. So powerful in fact that its a good thing they have adjustable power feature on them.

I will attest that if you are going fishing and want to use a one flasher only set up with 4 guys in a house, the Marcum will pick up EVERYONE's bait in the shanty.

The one downfall I found is the relation of the 3 colors. Hard for me to distinguish, which is why I stick with the Vex.

However, while brightness of the screen was always a complaint or concern, especially in bright sun conditions, Vexilar has definatly overcome that with the BRIGHT readout on the FL-18...So bright that I would suggest they add an adjustable lumination feature so when fishing at night we're not blinded by the light!

I have not seen the high powered Marcum in high plankton conditions. Anyone have experience with night fishing with an LX-3, preferably next to a Vex when the vertical plankton movement takes place and the screen turns solid green and orange to have something to relate and compare to???

So many questions......

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 10-07-2003).]

I have far more problems with Vertical Plankton and weeds with my Fl-18. Both with pick them up and they show up as moderate interence, but I think the seperation and sharpness on the LX-3 gets the edge on this one. Both units reguire fine Gain adjustments but will get the job done.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

United Jigsticker, according to the online manual... all MarCum LX-3 transducers are 20 degree cone angle.
That is coverage of 3 1/2 feet on the bottom in 10 foot of depth. In a 20 foot bottom, that is an area of 7 feet across. In 30 feet of water it is 10 1/2 feet of bottom coverage.
I like a 20 degree cone for ice fishing and for pinpointing structure.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 10-11-2003).]

Anyone checked out the Lowrance X67C for ice fishing? An LCD unit that has flasher characteristics. I checked one out this morning and was very impressed. Instantaneous reading and multiple colors. It has a feature called Colorline that allows for target seperation like other flashers. Now that Lowrance came out with the Ice Machine, the X67C can be fully equiped for ice fishing.

I know that in the past, LCD models have had trouble out on the ice.

Just wondering about other opinions?

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]